Tim's 29gal Biocube Reef / Angler Fish tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
End of May, beginning of June for Most. Birdsnest was added middle of October.

I neglected to do a PWC last week on the BC so it's been two weeks. I've just been watching as the glass is covered in green film. Hair algae has completely taken hold. Aptasia, that came in on a coral, has now spread throughout the tank and into the chaeto in the rear. The Xenia is growing like a week and taking over the top if the reef, and all the other corals are getting huge as well. I'll take pics tomorrow, but its still so sad to look into this tank.

Last night, I found my Pom Pom crab still doing great in a small crevice, still had both poms. Then at 1:30a, I had a power outage that lasted until about 2:00p. It was a long and cold night. I had to use a whisk to oxygenate the water every hour. The temp dropped to around 72.

So far, the only causality I see is the large blue damsel looks like he got an eye infection on one side. Everything else I could see was okay. Time will tell.

Nothing much to update. I will say that I am still quite hesitant about raising another angler / frog. I have been seeing a few on LA's DD, and it still makes me sad.

That said, I have come to the conclusion that something has got to be done. The reef, although marked with Bubble algae, xenia outbreak, and aptaisia here and there, it still looks great.

There are still (4) assorted damsels in the tank and a bunch of inverts, so I'm still enjoying it, but it needs something more.

I'm on the fence on whether to pull the trigger on another angler, OR turn the BC into another Mantis tank.

The pro's of the Angler for me are: Having an awesome fish that is perfectly reef safe. Enjoying all of the quirks of using his lure to catch prey, swim around all goofy, and walk. Just the overall attitude and demeanor was pleasing to me.

Cons: I was spending nearly $100 dollars in fuel per month driving to LFS for Feeder shrimp. I didn't realize, until I didn't have to do it, and my budget fell drastically.

Having to hand feed every shrimp directly to him. They are generally inactive and so don't add much exitement to the tank while just watching.

Messy eater adds to bubble / hair algae issues. (Hair is gone now, bubbles are not)

Anyone have any thoughts about resurecting an Angler tank vs. Any other option?

Last edited:
I say go for another angler . You never know man your next one might take to a feeding stick / frozen foods . My opinion might be a little bias though :)

I have to vote for angler as well.... I am thinking of pulling my clowns and get one to.... but I did have the one that died on me as well but I really want another as well

I knew my angler club pals would come in with some support!

The truth is I am leaning very much towards another one. I was thinking black, but then again maybe a red or orange painted. As much as I loved my Warty, I don't think I can drop another $200 without a bit more confidence.

This is from my local LFS. It's a weekly e-mail of specials and new additions for sale. I thought this was a steal for this angler!
I'm wondering if he could get another to you for a great price!

Attachments

• image-3991932483.jpg
    image-3991932483.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 114
I'd like to get one about 2" at least. Hand-raising from 7/8" on live brine just isn't in the cards at this point, but if I could get one for less than $100, I'd grab it immediately.

I went in and saw him for myself and he was looking great. I asked about him and the LFS owner(Carl) told me he was eating well.
This guy has more amazing deals I have ever seen anywhere else. I had him order a skimmer and sump for me and found that I paid $100 less than any other site online that I could find.
That has gone for countless other items. He's a great guy and really a straight shooter. I bet I could have him get one for you cheaper than anywhere else you could get one. It just may take an extra trip from distributor to him and then to you. But he could get it stable in his tank for a while and make sure it's eating before he shipped it off to you. What ever you want....

Angler :) Shark supply sells feeder shrimp by the bulk. Maybe you could breed your own in a rubbermaid bin.

This weeks specials:

Attachments

• image-3720864357.jpg
    image-3720864357.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 89
  • image-336700838.jpg
    image-336700838.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 105
Back
Top Bottom