Tim's 29gal Biocube Reef / Angler Fish tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Darn man,,i actually saw that one on there a day or 2 ago,,,i thought about linking it but just thought you were sold on the warty...

I use chromis because they are only 3.99 vs 4.99 for damsels,,at least at my LFS...
I just fed the new guy this morning ,,took all of 5 minutes ...boom gone..Chromi went down to check his lure and gulp..I didn't even have time to get the video...Hopefully next time...

I would personally wait on "the one" you really want..Trust me ,you'll be glad you did,,more will show up

I agree... I'm just getting ahead of myself, and getting really excited. I will wait. I just have to remember that I can still buy corals and get the reef completed while I wait.

Speaking of the reef, I just purchased my 1st addition today for the tank... It's going into the frag tank for now just to wait for the main tank to be completed, but I really like it.

It's a 14 headed calaustrea coral... $35 with discount. Can't beat it, and its really nice looking. Already dipped and into the frag tank. Also bought a Mexican turbo for the frag tank to battle the hair algae.

Here ya go... Sand, trumpet just in the tank and the mother of pearl looking turbo.

TLTGF said:
Damsels over chromis for a reason? Won't they be too aggressive towards the angler? Never had any, so no idea.

I'm up for doing whatever is best.

What about the lights on the frag tank? Am I going to run into any issues there?

They wouldn't be aggressive for the angler. It's just they are usually cheaper lol You could also feed mollies by drip acclimation for 2 hours

They wouldn't be aggressive for the angler. It's just they are usually cheaper lol You could also feed mollies by drip acclimation for 2 hours

Well that makes sense. Thanks for the info. I guess when the time comes I'll check out the LFS and see what kind of prices each fish goes for and decide then. Or maybe I'll mix em up a bit.

I wonder which one is tastier? :ermm:

Oh also, I can't believe I forgot this! I completely forgot about getting flow into this tank!

I don't know why I was thinking that two 750's were going to work! From the further reasearch I've done, the angler needs a lower flow environment not conducive for an SPS style reef, but still sufficient for LPS / softies.

I've also learned that these angler's really like sponges, to perch on and such, but I'm pretty clueless on how to care for a sponge. I've got tons that are growing in my 54, but I've never bought one on purpose.

So do you think (2) Koralia 425's would work well for flow along with the output of the MJ1200?

That gives me a little more than 30x per hour of flow. Is that too much or not enough, or just right?

I've read some feed their lions feeder goldfish but that it's not recommended because they lack the proper nutrition of a saltwater fish. Perhaps this could be true with mollies too? Sounds more economical. I'm no expert, so take this advice with a grain of salt, but might be worth looking into.

Thanks - there will be huge updates tomorrow. I'll be recieving my heater, tonga rock, media basket, fuge, fuge light, fans, new ballast, new bulbs, fish saver plate, and probably more I'm forgetting. Then on the 9th I will order my PH's, and on the 12th my main rock should be in.

Did I order the wrong fans? The ones I got have a three wire connector and my bio-cube has a 2-wire...

Nevermind - I figured out how to mod the wires to use the existing 2-wire connector on the new fan - One wire is uselss as a sensor wire.

New fans installed, both working beautifully and nearly silent. A 10,000x improvement over the stock (1) fan, and the broken fan.

Must sleep.

Hopefully everything arrives relatively early so I can start building the puzzle.

My estimate, based on Fort's experience, for receiving my main shipment of rock will by April 12th, which just happens to be my B-Day, so that'll be a nice gift. Until then I will impatiently wait.

Sounds good can't wait to see it up and running...... The 12th of April is ur bday that's cool mine is the 18th not to happy to turn 29 lol

Here we go:

Fuge basket, media basket, fuge light, ballast, fish saver, (3) mesh socks, tonga branch rock (5)lbs, oh and inTank sends Swedish fish candy in each order. Lol.

Here are some "inspiration" aquascapes that I'll be trying to mimic for my build... Hopefully.

Back
Top Bottom