Tim's 29gal Biocube Reef / Angler Fish tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sure there was epoxy, nicely shaped rocks to start with, and possibly rods used to hold the positions, but I haven't a clue. I didn't read through the threads for any of them yet.

That is the minimalist look - equal parts positive and negative space inside the aquarium. The 1st one looks good for "swimmy" fish, and the 2nd one is called the "bonsai" inspired scape.

Remember this is an angler tank. There will only be one fish, other than at feeding time. The anglers behavior is mostly walking around the sandbed and perching on corals and outcroppings. Therefore, lots of sandbed is a must as well as a few nice perch areas.

Honestly, I am going to try to incorporate some style from all three. Thanks for the vote!

The second one will give him more places to purch on a more open and bed to roam around and it looks really cool that is how I would do it

More goodies...!!! Now to wait for the rock. I'm pretty sure this wait is going to be harder for the cycle wait!

It appears as though, I'll have to return my replacement actinic. When I turned it on it flashed and went out. The old bulb still works and so does both the new and old white in the outlet. After examining the bulb it appears to have a hairline crack at the end of one of the tubes.

Its from DrsF&S so I'm sure I won't have any issues.

That's exactly the one I'm looking for! That being said, I've decided to slow WAY down on this tank, and what I mean is, I wouldn't even consider throwing a cheap fish into my newly cycled tank, so why the heck would I put a $100+ one in there?

I initially planned to put the angler in my frag tank to QT and wait, but now it seems that I won't be getting my rock until around the 12th of April, which means that I can't really start cycling until then, plus another 4-6 weeks to cycle the tank, which brings me to June. I figure I want the tank to start to settle in some before I toss in my centerpiece fish and all. So I'm planning to start looking around the middle of May or June for the Angler. That way I can still QT for about a month or so, and hopefully by then the tank has settled and the parameters are more stable.

I do appreciate the link, that's a great find. Hopefully, I will start finding some more great corals so that once my tank is settled, I can just throw them all in and have a great start!

So far, I've got the trumpet coral, the Zoa's from my 54, and also I was strongly contemplating puting the Elegance from my 54 into the biocube as well.

I agree about being patient. Don't want to kill a $100 fish. Besides, That fish was sold and shipped 30min after that post. So seems you will have to be ready and willing when one comes up. Dont be afraid of those stock lights. You will be able to have chalice and acans grow out of control.

Good idea ,slow down..Plus i think the warts are more readily available in the summer...Not sure,,i do know they go fast ,very fast,but you already know that..
This cube is going to be awesome though,,can't wait

I agree about being patient. Don't want to kill a $100 fish. Besides, That fish was sold and shipped 30min after that post. So seems you will have to be ready and willing when one comes up. Dont be afraid of those stock lights. You will be able to have chalice and acans grow out of control.

Seems to be the trend with most Anglers I've seen - If its a nice speciman - it tends to go quickly.

As for the lights - I have heard the same from lots of sources, that they are actually better than expected.

I'm still on the fence for upgrading to AI sol in the future. I suppose it depends on how the tank comes together and whether I decide I want a clam or SPS in there.

For now, at least a year, the stockers will do.

Good idea ,slow down..Plus i think the warts are more readily available in the summer...Not sure,,i do know they go fast ,very fast,but you already know that..
This cube is going to be awesome though,,can't wait

I am very excited, as you can tell, but I've come to terms with waiting. I actually got the notion from looking at old pictures from the 54. I got that tank, thinking I had researched and done everything I needed, and I was still so far off it was crazy. Luckily, I had the support of everyone here to get me through my mistakes, and prevent more of them.

I remembered back to the beginning of that tank, and losing fish, and a coral, and freaking out. A year later, I certainly am more knowledgable and feel that I have a means to be successful, buy my biggest mistake by far on the 54 was wanting to go too fast.

Thanks for all your help, and for keeping an eye out for me. Like I said, I am really excited about this, and at the same time, I want to give my angler a good home to come into.

So I just put together a very close approximation of the cost of this build, if anyone is curious:

Biocube Aquarium
Aquarium Stand
Heater
Base Rock (RR) / Tonga Branch
Lighting (replacement PC's) / Fuge light
Chemicals (Chemipure / purigen)
Filtration / Mods
Replacement Ballast
Cleaning / thermometer
Sand
Replacement Fans
Powerheads