Tim's 29gal Biocube Reef / Angler Fish tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TLTGF said:
Sorry to hear that Ibrahim, it seems that he had pretty great service for me. He stated that my payment went under review last week through paypal, which made sense because my debit card had fraudulent charges in Florida before that I just had to take care of.

But, yup, he called and was very nice, and explained that unlike some companies that sell a "box of rocks" - he actually picks out rocks based on your aquarium size to give you the best possible outcome.

I was very pleased, and have already gotten my FedEx e-mail with tracking number. It was sent "FedEx Home Delivery" so I'm hoping to have it by this weekend.

Yeah that's good, it seems it's only me that got the bad service.

So, just checked and it appears that my rock will be here on Thursday! Sooo that means I'll be cycling by this weekend!

Two things:

1) I've decided that I really like the yellow / maroon warty, just as much, I think as the white / maroon. Just saying.

2) After researching and watching video after video and looking at picture after picture after picture of warty's trying to figure out the best way to 1)aquascape the tank and 2) figure out what types other additions the frogfish would feel most at home with, I have come to the conclusion that having PLANTS in the tank would be beneficial.

I will already have chaeto in the refuge of the tank, but I was thinking about trying to bring Gracillaria sp, and Halimeda plants, and possibly even mangroves into the mix with the other rock and corals in the DT.

So I need input... Is this a crazy idea? Does anyone actually do this? Any suggestions / comments / criticisms / pros / cons that anyone can think of?

Pros:
Low Trates
Higher PH
More hiding places
Looks great
Fast growing

Cons:
None I can think of

Attachments

• image-2555833394.jpg
    image-2555833394.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 131
The one website said its reef safe but not recommended for a reef it sounds like its contradicting it's self lol

Some sites list them not reef safe because they will obviously eat shrimp,,but thats it..They won't eat your CUC or nip corals ...
As far as hiding spaces ,,,neither of mine EVER hide..They are always out on top of a rocked or on the side of it,sitting perfectly still,looking and scanning for the next meal :fish1:
I would just make the scape to your liking and the angler will be fine with it..

Some sites list them not reef safe because they will obviously eat shrimp,,but thats it..They won't eat your CUC or nip corals ...
As far as hiding spaces ,,,neither of mine EVER hide..They are always out on top of a rocked or on the side of it,sitting perfectly still,looking and scanning for the next meal :fish1:
I would just make the scape to your liking and the angler will be fine with it..

This is exactly what I plan to do. Looking into several aquascapes, one of my favorites was done by André Silvestre. He also wrote this article about aquascape techniques:

Aquascaping your Reef Tank

Certainly the (5) main points that he brings up are what I am trying to attain in my own tank:

- Good water flow around and through the whole rockwork

- Fish shelters

- Fish swimming area

- Coral area

- Natural and aesthetic feeling of the rockwork

I realize that the "swimming area" isn't of huge concern for an angler as they are more cryptic fish and mainly sit and wait, but you get the idea nonetheless. :fish2:

With my current reef tank, it looks "good", but it doesn't look like a reef. It looks like a bunch of nice looking corals put together on a big rock pile with a few fish swimming around it. I'm happy with it, but it is far from natural, which is where I want to go with this build. I want to try to duplicate a natual angler habitat for the fish's sake, and my own.

Researching on habitat has led me to find that these specific Anglers are typically from shallower waters with foliage, algae, debris, and lots of sponges around to sit on, near, lean on, etc. I want my angler to be able to show off that awesome camoflage. (y)

Unfortunately, I've read several sources, two of which are included below about the care of sponges in the home aquarium, which seems to be about as hard as keeping NPS corals. :huh:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/4/inverts

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/6/inverts2

Aside from that, I am still going to try to find "similar" substitues that appear to be from a Natural habitat.

This will certainly be a challenge, but I think it will be rewarding, and something that you don't necessarily see or think about when inquiring about a "reef" tank. :popcorn:

I love scaping saltwater tanks! I wish i could help. Haha what kind of look are you going for? :)

Here is the one I'm finally happy with, at least for the moment. Water will be added shortly...

Not sure what the heck I was thinking, but I ran out of water! :facepalm:

I completely forgot to make more last night, so I only have half a tank full...

Yep, just old coralline - most likely it'll just flake off and such, but what sticks will be a good base for the new stuff.

huh, i figured once it was dead it was just dead. I cleaned mine off when I reset up my biocube. Good to know...

It's dead, and won't come back to life, but I don't think it'll hurt anything. I'm guessing that new coralline will just grow over top of it. I hope - ;)

Thanks guys! I was trying to go with a very simple "design". I love the tonga branches - they look so awesome in person. Very happy I got 'em. I've got SOOOO much rock left its crazy. Some is going in the 54 and I'll still probably have 15lbs left... Maybe for the next tank ;)

Back
Top Bottom