Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #101
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank is cycled. Tested last night and had 0,0,80. So, going to let it simmer over the weekend as ill be out of town anyway.

Sometime next week, whenever I find four hours of time to drip acclimate him into his new conditions (just to be safe) he'll be heading in. I haven't figured out which light, if any ill put on the tank, just to see him and take pictures. For now nothing.

Also, once it warms up I want to finish the canopy on the tank as well. Hopefully cut down on this 5 gallons / week evaporation. Worst thing I've found about a HOB filter.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #102
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Way cool! That's one of the most exciting feelings about a new tank. I wanted to ask you what your plans were about how you were gonna deal with tank maintenance?? I know that little guy will pretty much demolish any cuc so how you gonna deal with things like diatoms and algae blooms?

Old 02-16-2013, 12:15 AM   #103
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkb02 View Post
Way cool! That's one of the most exciting feelings about a new tank. I wanted to ask you what your plans were about how you were gonna deal with tank maintenance?? I know that little guy will pretty much demolish any cuc so how you gonna deal with things like diatoms and algae blooms?
As far as maintenance goes, it should be quite easy, just as it is in the 10 gallon now.

Currently the mantis lives with a Chocolate Chip Starfish, and three medium to large Turbo snails. All do a fine job keeping the tank clean. I'm planning to add additional starfish, snails, and hermits along the way just to get the small amount of detritus left over, and if he kills one or ten, so be it. He'll get fed, and it's a cheap replacement.

For the small amount of film that does show up, I use a Kent Scraper.

However, since this tank with be lightless other than ambient, the algae growth should be virtually none.

As far as diatoms, they typically burn themselves out within a matter of weeks, so no worries there.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:40 AM   #104
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I didn't realize you had a starfish and snails in there, that's more than enough to take care of any problems. I was under the impression that there was no comparable tank mates. All good I guess, cool beans
Old 02-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #105
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup, I actually bought the turbos for him to eat. He tried knocking the smaller ones around, but wasn't strong enough, so he gave up. The CC star was also a test to see whether he'd try to kill and eat. I don't know if mine is the exception or the rule, but it makes me very happy.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #106
Aquarium Advice Freak

For my potential future with this animal what is best practice for moving them from tank to tank? Obviously you can't just pick him up. Is there a type of trap?
Old 02-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #107
Aquarium Advice Addict

There is, and I have one, though I'd think it was 10x too small. At any rate, my an is to use either a specimen bag, like you get at LFS when bringing goodies home, or just a clear Tupperware. My plan is to add water to whichever and add food, and since my guy follows my fingers all over the tank, I can lure him in and pull container out. From there I am going to drip acclimate him, and they simply dunk the container and let him out.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #108
Aquarium Advice Addict

In the process of acclimating to his new home!
Old 02-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #109
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTGF View Post
In the process of acclimating to his new home!
I bet it's mackflipping out if excitement
Old 02-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #110
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Sounds like a busy day for you man! Acclimating him now that the new bta is in the other tank or do you run 2 acclamations at the same time to different tanks? That's a good amount of buckets on the side.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breed, breeder, build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com