Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2012, 05:17 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidy07 View Post
is a 40 gal too big for one shrimp?
I can certainly see that point of view. These creatures aren't actually shrimp, they are Stomatopods. They are in a class all their own, and they have a locomotion that is unique as well. The 40 gallon size comes from three factors: their burrowing tendency, their interactiveness, and stability.

The Peacock Mantis can reach 7 inches and length and their burrow is typically twice their width and three to four times their length with multiple entrances. Mine is around 4.5" now and her burrow in the 10 gallon uses one half the length of the tank with one entrance at the left side and the other at the mid-point.

Using the rule 4.5*3 = 13.5 inches. Therefore 1/3 of the length of the tank will be a burrow. Multiple burrows would be more.

The second factor is the interaction with prey. These creatures are very fast and run, like a "marine hamster", around the tank chasing some prey items. Having room to roam so to speak seems more realistic to me.

The final reason for my choice is water stability. These creatures are very susceptible to changes in salinity, temperature, etc. more water volume should help alleviate some of these issues. Other measures will be taken more specifically, i.e. an ATO, but this adds another level of insurance.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Sweet build . Following

^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Following along. I've been thinking of doing a 40 breeder mantis only build for awhile now.

Not sure if you know or not, but Coral Magazine is featuring an article about mantis shrimp this month.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well... it's amazing how fast things can change...

I went to the LFS this morning for some feeder shrimp for the angler and hawk, and starting talking about my plans for the tank. Come to find out, two of my favorite (most knowledgable, trusworthy, etc.) LFS workers have kept Mantis shrimp. One for a short time before rehoming to a friend, and another for multiple years, which is good for a Mantis.

At any rate, after some discussion about Mantis and what my goal was, and my budget, we decided on a slightly different path. Plus they hooked me up so well with discounts, it was overwhelming.

I walked out with a 30 gallon breeder, same dimensions as the 40 except a few inches shorter (I know Squidy ), an AC70, and a large bag of crushed coral for substrate.

I already have a box of a ton of dry rock, and being that he really just needs rubble for his home, I can easily accomodate. Got a jager heater, in the box, I never used.

That all said, and the fact that the Mantis Shrimp was a Christmas gift, and all the existing equipment, this whole build has only cost $120.

I'm still somewhat on the fence whether to buy a stand or not. I may use a bookcase I have that can lay on its side, but since I am, at this point not using a canister or sump, the only thing to hide is the ATO jug.

By the way, thank you all for following along!
Old 12-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTGF View Post
Well... it's amazing how fast things can change...

I went to the LFS this morning for some feeder shrimp for the angler and hawk, and starting talking about my plans for the tank. Come to find out, two of my favorite (most knowledgable, trusworthy, etc.) LFS workers have kept Mantis shrimp. One for a short time before rehoming to a friend, and another for multiple years, which is good for a Mantis.

At any rate, after some discussion about Mantis and what my goal was, and my budget, we decided on a slightly different path. Plus they hooked me up so well with discounts, it was overwhelming.

I walked out with a 30 gallon breeder, same dimensions as the 40 except a few inches shorter (I know Squidy ), an AC70, and a large bag of crushed coral for substrate.

I already have a box of a ton of dry rock, and being that he really just needs rubble for his home, I can easily accomodate. Got a jager heater, in the box, I never used.

That all said, and the fact that the Mantis Shrimp was a Christmas gift, and all the existing equipment, this whole build has only cost $120.

I'm still somewhat on the fence whether to buy a stand or not. I may use a bookcase I have that can lay on its side, but since I am, at this point not using a canister or sump, the only thing to hide is the ATO jug.

By the way, thank you all for following along!
Sounds perfect. I'm sure HOB filtration is fine, as there will be very little bioload. I'm sure 30g is ample as well.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:23 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pics please!

And by the way I've been inspired by this thread so much that I think my next build will be a mantis tank. I've done so much research on the animal and it sounds like a perfect fit.

Thanks for the insight and inspiration
Old 12-12-2012, 02:15 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hit a snag today. Just got home and was starting to put together the AC70 and realized it was completed cracked all throughout. Looks like someone kicked it down a hallway!

Taking it back in the morning for an exchange. I also debated exchanging for a 40 gallon because I was worried about depth of tank, but realized that its the same as the 10 gallon he's in now, so it feels fine.

Also debating about using a dark PVC pipe to help the mantis get started on a burrow. Have heard plenty of stories about doing it either way.

One zoo keeper who had one said that she would make the Mantis chase the food around the tank with a feeding stick so that it would be more active and also, she would purposely cave in the burrow so that the mantis would have to dig it out now and again. She thought it would keep him active.

I'm also thinking 90% that I'm going to get a simple stand. I think it'll look better and not an after-thought for my apt.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm totally creeped out by mantis, but following along too!! Lol. yeah, one of the guys at Petco told me to periodically cave in some of the pistol shrimps caves too, said it'll give him something to do. I felt bad doing it at first... Now not so much.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm almost certain the 30 gallon is fine
Old 12-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Too late... I caved and went back to the 40. It'll be here Friday. I just felt more comfortable with added stability, better size to accommodate filter, and more height for more Mantis exploring.

Plus it was only $15 more.

Tags
breed, breeder, build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com