Tim's 40 Breeder MOWLR build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finally got around to moving the dresser / 10 gallon out of the way to take some pics.

The pictures below show the full tank and stand filled with heater and filter going. The second picture is to show the depth of the substrate and the mantis burrow inlets. The third picture is to show the makeup of the substrate. It's very cool having so many shapes, sizes, and shells...

Attachments

• image-1446566713.jpg
    image-1446566713.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 98
  • image-587902829.jpg
    image-587902829.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 121
  • image-2121004912.jpg
    image-2121004912.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 121
Looks awesome! I'm wondering though, are you just cycling or did you already have this setup and changed it around?

Brand new set-up. Haven't even started the cycle. Waiting for rock - going to aquascape before the cycle begins. No reason why. :)

I love your mantis!!! I need more experience in salt, but someday I want one, lol... I have this thing for fish and crustaceans that don't play well with others, I've found them to be the ones that don't need any tank mates, it's more fun to watch them kill, lol, and throw temper tantrums- your mantis and my puffer should meet. Ha that would be funny to see, but too dangerous to try.

Rock finally arrived today and I am thoroughly impressed. Steve at Reefrocks outdid himself again. I ordered the standard 50 lbs, but got closer to 100 I bet. It was two huge boxes that said 54 lbs on each box. Some of the coolest rock I've seen. I was able to make an awesome shelf / tunnel structure on the left and I haven't figured out the right yet. The tank was a bit cloudy adding the new rocks so the pics aren't great.

Attachments

• image-410190112.jpg
    image-410190112.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 106
  • image-4054356738.jpg
    image-4054356738.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 100
  • image-3952161261.jpg
    image-3952161261.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 105
Very cool! Haven't used reef rock yet.... Considering it now!

Things to note:

For reference the large rock on the left front is 18.5" long.

I asked for a lot of rubble for the Mantis to build with.

The third picture was trying to show the burrow opening under the overhang.

I will try to get better pics tomorrow. The whole stack has a tunnel running underneath with only two rocks holding up the pile. It is very neat looking in real life.

Lastly, I need to figure out how to place a powerhead to flow into the actual burrow... Thinking about a Tunze rock PH.

Hey Tim, did you happen to get the sand with your order? I am curious as to the quality of it and such?? I do like the rock very much so!

I got the sand on a previous order, and the quality is fantastic. I have it in my 10 gallon mantis holding tank, and my BC29 reef. It is very nice looking, no rinsing needed, and has nice shells mixed in. I highly recommend.

Sweet! I'm thinking I am going with them for my 90. Thx for the info

I can't get a nice picture to save my life, but here is the right side. Another cave type setup. Having such a shallow area really narrows your options. If it was fish I'd let it stick out, but I don't need the mantis surfacing. He already chases my figures around the outside of the glass and will swim at my hand if I wave it over the top.

Don't mind the nylons as they are holding more shrimp. Decided to restart the cycle after power outage to ensure good buildup of bacteria.

Attachments

• image-1467430255.jpg
    image-1467430255.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 94
  • image-2273985249.jpg
    image-2273985249.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 121
Nope, that is a mixture of three types of large crushed coral substrate. No sand in this tank.

Snapped a few blue pics. This guy is so funny. I need to video him.

Attachments

• image-1489237769.jpg
    image-1489237769.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 101
  • image-1822964840.jpg
    image-1822964840.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 103
  • image-2775404791.jpg
    image-2775404791.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 111
Cycle is still going strong. Just tested at: Ammo - .25, Nitrite - .5, and nitrate - 160+

Is that a peacock mantis i see in ur pics ?;) cool...my bro wished he had room for one..well he is cycling his 14 biocube for a new res after boiling the aiptasia off all the rockwork... Hhmmm:)?

Is that a peacock mantis i see in ur pics ?;) cool...my bro wished he had room for one..well he is cycling his 14 biocube for a new res after boiling the aiptasia off all the rockwork... Hhmmm:)?

I do have a peacock. He is really a trip, and more fun then I expected. My build, though on the cheaper side, will be the most specific of any I've done. The needs of a peacock with its pristine water conditions and low / no light tolerance makes difficult. For example: 6" deep substrate to accommodate burrow.

As for your brother, I'd say a peacock is out. It really needs more space than a 14. However, there are many smaller Mantis species that are much hardier, more interactive, and require much less species specific accommodations. The Gonodactylus smithii is sometimes referred to as a mini-peacock, has great personality, and can be housed in as little as 5 gallons. There are several other small Gonodactylus species suitable as well.

Here's a link to help guide you, and good luck if you go ahead with one!

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/index.html

Back
Top Bottom