Tim's 40 Breeder MOWLR build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tank is cycled. Tested last night and had 0,0,80. So, going to let it simmer over the weekend as ill be out of town anyway.

Sometime next week, whenever I find four hours of time to drip acclimate him into his new conditions (just to be safe) he'll be heading in. I haven't figured out which light, if any ill put on the tank, just to see him and take pictures. For now nothing.

Also, once it warms up I want to finish the canopy on the tank as well. Hopefully cut down on this 5 gallons / week evaporation. Worst thing I've found about a HOB filter.

Way cool! That's one of the most exciting feelings about a new tank. I wanted to ask you what your plans were about how you were gonna deal with tank maintenance?? I know that little guy will pretty much demolish any cuc so how you gonna deal with things like diatoms and algae blooms?

Way cool! That's one of the most exciting feelings about a new tank. I wanted to ask you what your plans were about how you were gonna deal with tank maintenance?? I know that little guy will pretty much demolish any cuc so how you gonna deal with things like diatoms and algae blooms?

As far as maintenance goes, it should be quite easy, just as it is in the 10 gallon now.

Currently the mantis lives with a Chocolate Chip Starfish, and three medium to large Turbo snails. All do a fine job keeping the tank clean. I'm planning to add additional starfish, snails, and hermits along the way just to get the small amount of detritus left over, and if he kills one or ten, so be it. He'll get fed, and it's a cheap replacement.

For the small amount of film that does show up, I use a Kent Scraper.

However, since this tank with be lightless other than ambient, the algae growth should be virtually none.

As far as diatoms, they typically burn themselves out within a matter of weeks, so no worries there.

I didn't realize you had a starfish and snails in there, that's more than enough to take care of any problems. I was under the impression that there was no comparable tank mates. All good I guess, cool beans

Yup, I actually bought the turbos for him to eat. He tried knocking the smaller ones around, but wasn't strong enough, so he gave up. The CC star was also a test to see whether he'd try to kill and eat. I don't know if mine is the exception or the rule, but it makes me very happy.

For my potential future with this animal what is best practice for moving them from tank to tank? Obviously you can't just pick him up. Is there a type of trap?

There is, and I have one, though I'd think it was 10x too small. At any rate, my an is to use either a specimen bag, like you get at LFS when bringing goodies home, or just a clear Tupperware. My plan is to add water to whichever and add food, and since my guy follows my fingers all over the tank, I can lure him in and pull container out. From there I am going to drip acclimate him, and they simply dunk the container and let him out.

Sounds like a busy day for you man! Acclimating him now that the new bta is in the other tank or do you run 2 acclamations at the same time to different tanks? That's a good amount of buckets on the side.

The mantis did a fair amount of exploring, and he really seemed to enjoy the flow going into his burrow.

The RBTA was put in last night. The mantis was today. I just used a speciman bag from the LFS to catch him and acclimate him. They are so sensitive to chemicals that I didn't want to chance a plastic tupperware or a small cooler.

I do have two pictures that I just took, but it's just too dark.

The pictures I took are of an odd behavior that started with rehoming. The mantis is going up as close as possible the the powerhead and grabbing hold and sitting as he is almost blown backwards. Like a person grabbing a street sign in a hurricane.

Kinda funny, but very odd. Any ideas?

I'm worried he's getting so close his antennas might get chopped.

Attachments

• image-2793084118.jpg
    image-2793084118.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 93
  • image-15723329.jpg
    image-15723329.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 92
Here is an FTS. I went home for lunch.

Attachments

• image-906981985.jpg
    image-906981985.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 97
This is awesome. I don't think I'd worry about it. If you picked me up and dropped me off somewhere new I'd probably check out my new home as well :)

What a cool creature! I want one now

That is probably one the best homes anyone has given a mantis. It is bigger and better than the mantis tank at my nearby aquarium. I want to make one now, too bad I want to make tons of tanks.

Well, his current surfing is over with. Mine is also hanging out at the opposite side. Currently there is a Koralia 750 on the left side, and the Tunze 6015 pointed toward the burrow from the right.

Last night and today he has been sitting in the burrow about 25% exposed. Basically just his eyes and antennas showing. I fed him today and he readily accepted the food and dashed around the tank to eat it, and finally took the remainder into the burrow with him and finished it.

All in all, I am very pleased. My only "Hindsight" at this point is the AC70 HOB filter. I was trying to do the cheapest build I could while still accommodating the Mantis, but now I really wish I'd either done a sump or a canister. The amount of Evap from the HOB is crazy. 2 gallons per 24 hours. Once I add the canopy, hopefully that helps.

I'm going to wait a few more weeks to add the CC star, and the Turbo snails to the tank. With no light and super low nitrates / phosphates, the algae is going to be at a minmum for them to eat.

Back
Top Bottom