Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyP View Post
Looks really good. I like the white inside the cabinet even though you're rarely going to see it I think it looks good.
Thanks.

The white inside is to help me see in there. Both my BC stand and my 54 stand are black and I had to install LED tap-lights just to work inside and see in there. I'm hoping this will help.

On another note, I just added a small CC starfish to the tank to test the feed / kill drive of the mantis. I'm hoping he leaves urchins and stars alone, but here is the 1st test!

Old 12-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTGF View Post
Thanks.

The white inside is to help me see in there. Both my BC stand and my 54 stand are black and I had to install LED tap-lights just to work inside and see in there. I'm hoping this will help.

On another note, I just added a small CC starfish to the tank to test the feed / kill drive of the mantis. I'm hoping he leaves urchins and stars alone, but here is the 1st test!
best of luck, although i'm sure his attacking the thermometer wasn't too reassuring!

Old 12-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice Addict

CC starfish had a death wish soon after adding to tank he went and found the mantis's cave and immediately entered. Few days later the star is all over the tank. No marks, looks good. Happy about that.

Mantis is still beating the snails all night, but had t been able to break one yet. Any "softer" shelled options?

He also still comes out to grab my homemade food cubes right off the fishing line. So awesome, out and about more during the night, but during the day as well. Can't wait till his large home is ready.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

Got the stand nearly finished. I have a new appreciation for the saying, "Watching paint dry."

I put on the final coat of black on the stand, (2) coats of white on the inside, so that's done. I put on (2) coats of white on inside of doors, and didn't feel like waiting another (4) hours to flip and paint black on outside of doors. Tomorrow morning I'm heading back to my friend's house. I'm going to finish painting the doors, and I'm leaving.

After they dry, he volunteered to fasten the hinges and hang the doors. I'll be able to pick up the stand sometime Tuesday night or anytime after.

I added $15 of supplies for (4) more paint rollers and a (10) pack of paint pan liners.

I know it looks like nothing has changed, but here is what it looks like:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-17424640.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	140671   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-226548052.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	140672  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-788921312.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	140673  
Old 12-31-2012, 12:45 AM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

looks really nice. If my set up (55g tank and stand) for $100 didnt come with a stand i'd use this idea. Maybe next build! Really nice job.
TommyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:59 AM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

Doors are painted and hung. No pics though.

I'm going to pick it up hopefully tomorrow. Now I'm thinking about door knobs. I haven't decided whether to add one, but here are a few of my choices and the link to the site in case anyone is interested.

http://www.simplyknobsandpulls.com/a...total&show=100

Haven't decided on a theme, or standard brushed nickel, or nothing. My 54 has nothing, but the BC29 has the standard brushed nickel ones.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2013, 04:28 AM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Looks great Tim. Looks to be really coming along.

Read a really interesting article about keeping Mantis Shrimp in Coral Magazine the other day. It talks about recommended flow, sand types, sand depth, diet, keeping pairs, and a lot more! Im sure you know a lot of the info but it was pretty insightful for someone like me. I did some searchin online but cant seem to get a link for you. However, if you have an iphone or smartphone, you can download the magazine as an application, and find the article in the table of contents! I'll keep searching, but i though maybe this could help! Goodluck.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:32 AM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

Got an iPhone 5. I've actually read the articles a couple times. Trying to retain as much knowledge as possible. Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:33 AM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not much to report, just a quick fun thing.

I went up to the tank a day or so ago and put my finger up to the glass. He was in his burrow watching from the back of the tank. He came right out and started examining my finger. I moved it up and down, side to side, and he walked with me looking ever so curious. I removed my fingers and he stayed for a scone looking me over and then did a typical Mantis backflip and back into his home.

Next night, I came in and tried it, and to my surprise, he did something similar, but not as dramatic. I feel in this short time, he has already made a connection with me and food.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:08 AM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Mantis backflip! ThAts Awsome

Tags
breed, breeder, build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com