Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #71
Aquarium Advice Freak

... And it shall be called: a Mackflip

Old 01-04-2013, 11:20 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtlessbill View Post
... And it shall be called: a Mackflip
+ 1 very nice

Old 01-05-2013, 01:15 AM   #73
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My LFS has a peacock mantis in. They are so cool. I wish I had a spare 40 gallon acrylic tank sitting around.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:07 AM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict

Stand:

It actually looks pretty good and I'm impressed with DIY. Hard to get pics as the other dresser and tank are right in front if it.

Completed and in place. Lessons learned:

1) measure twice
2) pre made doors look nicer
3) only one "soft close" hinge per door is needed. Two and the door won't close properly.
4) paint is very susceptible to chips when hit with a large metal door

Setup:

I'm still on the fence about substrate. Dr. Roy (the expert) mentions a sand and gravel substrate. On the other hand every single thing I've read about mixing crushed coral with sand says absolutely do NOT do it.

I'm thinking I may just ditch the CC altogether and buy another 50 lbs of Rock from reefrocks. Then buy more sand.

Must keep researching.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:02 AM   #75
Aquarium Advice Addict

A mackflip??!! You gotta post a video of that! That would be awesome to see!! Video Please??!!
Old 01-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Love it!
Old 01-09-2013, 12:04 AM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haven't had any luck duplicating the mackflip, but she (found out its a girl) did put on a show for my parents flashing her antenna scales around.

I decided to go with a mixture of different sized coral substrates. I'm using the normal crushed coral 2-5 mm size, some 3-10mm and just order 40 lbs that's 25-50mm. Should look great. Also will be adding pea sized to golf ball sized rubble.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict

My order arrived yesterday containing my additional (40) lbs of Grade #10 Coral substrate. It was not large at all with most of the pcs being the side of a pea or a little larger. At any rate, it was very beautiful.

After rinsing and washing the 80 lbs of CC I added in the PVC burrow followed by a few large pcs of base rock that I had from a previous order. I then added in all the CC and found I was still quite shy of where I needed to be. I decided to try Petsmart rather than drive an hour round trip to the LFS and they had 30 lbs of Caribsea puka CC something or other... Anyway, it was very nice sized and filled the tank perfectly. I added the 25 gallon of water I had made up, and even after (4) hours of rinsing and cleaning, the water was still extremely cloudy. I'm sure it would've been a disaster if I hadn't rinsed everything.

All said, I have (110) lbs of CC substrate in the tank at about 6" deep. Various sizes. What I completely forgot to do was to paint the back of the tank... Ah well, clear it is.

I've also decided that I may add my 10 gallon current tank as the sump / refugium for this tank. I'll have to figure out how to connect another small tank for the return pump, but I figured since its so full of life now, why waste it.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice Addict

I went ahead last night and placed an order for 50#'s of base rock from reefrocks. The last time I ordered, Steve waited a few days to call me and ask what it was for, so this time I left what I wanted in the order comment section. I asked for 10lbs of marble to golf ball sized rubble and 40lbs of whatever will fit a 40 breeder with 6" sub.
He shot back quick with a reply, so I'm hoping that it comes soon. As quickly as I get the aquascape done, I'll toss in the shrimp and let 'em rot. Already added the heater and the water is now clear and up to temp.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sounds like Mantis Paradise.

Tags
breed, breeder, build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com