Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #1141
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here ya go...

Old 03-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #1142
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yea I figured you had it covered. My first mp10 developed clicking noise coming from the motor side about a month after I started running it. I couldn't get it to stop. I called ecotech and their customer service was great. They sent out a new one with a return shipping label for my old one. Never had a problem since. I'm still contemplating another mp10. What did the second one do for you that the one couldn't, besides the obvious of more flow. Was it just a different flow. Scale of 1-10 on the importance of it. Thanks Tim

Old 03-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #1143
Aquarium Advice Addict

To tell you the truth, the settings I have my (2) set at, power-wise, is only slightly more than one at full power.

The pros of two: 1) Variable chaotic flow patterns 2) at full speed the MP10 is loud, two at 60% are silent. 3) one MP10 at full power kicked up tons of sand and caused the "whirpool" effect and sucked in water from the surface like crazy and blew bubbles - if I lowered it to eliminate the whirlpool, then my sandbed was toast. 4) I have to believe that the 2nd PH gets into the other side of the rocks, which may not have had sufficient flow with one allowing for a buildup of nasties on one side of the rockscape.

That's all I can think of. For the above listed, I'd say for me the importance of a 2nd PH was a 7.0 - 7.5 out of 10.0.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #1144
Aquarium Advice Freak

Does more water movement create a higher PH? My QT tank is 7.2 or 7.0. I think the gamma is mad
Old 03-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #1145
Aquarium Advice Regular

Tim thanks for the info, I'll prob be ordering one soon. Just to confirm you're only running the 2 mp10s, correct.

Georgia, Tim was referring to the mp10 power head not the ph. I couldn't answer your question regarding flow and ph but I'm sure someone from this site could. I wouldn't think flow has much to do with ph in my opinion.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #1146
Aquarium Advice Addict

Katoom - yes I am only running the (2) MP10's. I still have a 750 hidden in the back, but whenever I turned it on, it completely overpowered the tank and was way too much flow.

Georgia - I'm not 100% on all the factors that raise / lower pH. I do know that surface agitation of the water is supposed to help, and also that the pH will fluctuate throughout the day. Before the lights come on in the morning it will be at its lowest point. After the lights have been on all day, the pH should be at its peak.

I've heard from multiple trusted sources that chasing pH is pointless. 8.3 is the magic number, but my tank's pH has been at 7.9 at the highest for nearly a year.

I also know that the air outside the tank has something to do with it as well. Some people have to open their windows to get better air in the house.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #1147
Aquarium Advice Addict

Powerheads do play a factor with PH. If you point them to the top of the tank then there will be more gas exchange and in turn the PH in the tank will rise. Opening windows and doors in the room also help with gas exchange.

Edit: Oops sorry Tim, I literally re stated what you said since I commented before I read your post lol
Old 03-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #1148
Aquarium Advice Addict

No problem - multiple sources are never a bad thing - unless they are wrong
Old 03-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #1149
Aquarium Advice Regular

And there you have it. Site always has good advice.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #1150
Aquarium Advice Addict

So, did you get your Mr Coral order yet?

Tags
corner, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com