Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright... so I'm not sure what has been happening lately, but apparently over the past few days my tank has had a growth explosion.

My front glass in all of a sudden covered in 1/16-1/8" spots of coraline purple dots. My Koralias are covered in bigger spots as well.

I have found about 6-8 tiny white snails on the glass as well, and what's more I have about 40 small white / clear things that look like tiny snowflakes...

Can anyone tell me what these are? No way of taking a picture as they are about 1mm in size.

They look like a tiny dot with 5-8 tiny "arms" coming off of them.

I hope and pray to the aquaria gods that I didn't just get an aptasia outbreak!

I think the "Snowflakes" are Brittle Stars. I think that is what they are called. If that is the case, I have seen lots of threads that say that is a good thing. I would search Google for brittle stars and see if they match up.

Well, I do have a ton of 1-2" brittle stars in the rocks that are always flailing their arms around, but this is the first time I've seen the micro-sized version. I'll check it out - thanks!

RD- I looked up pics on Google of baby brittle and it seems that we have a winner. Other people said a small jellyfish, but I doubt that.

On another note... I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!

ATI lights to be exact. I just came back from LFS where I purchased (2) specials and (2) blue +'s, and I can not come close to describing in words how much of an incredible difference it has made in my tank.

My corals have NEVER popped so much. Everything in the tank looks phenomenal!

This may have been the biggest bang for the buck upgrade I have ever made.

Stunning.

Thanks guys...

I saw two pretty killer mushroom colonies while I was there. One was 6 or 7 hairy lavendar mushrooms, and the other was much smaller 6-7 florescent green shrooms.

Both were $40 - discount, so a pretty good deal. I think I'll be back in a couple weeks to get 'em.

I figure, even if I'm in Japan, they'll still be growing nicely in my tank for my return!

Japan is still an "if" for now... I swear they are keeping me in suspense just to get a kick out of it.

If I do go it'll be January 2012 - January 2013. There is a small possiblity that I wouldn't come home permanetly. I may go to Thailand for a year after that as well. I'm even less sure about that.

What I do know is that I'm very lucky to have an ex-girlfriend who is willing and able to take care of my cat and my fish while I'm gone. Not that she doesn't get the sweet deal of living rent free, but still. I am a lucky guy.

Just saw something new to me... I recently added new lights and my hairy mushroom has decreased by 40% in size, and no longer reaches for the sky. In my book those are signs of better lighting. Today, however, I saw my mushroom sticking out a 4-5" tentacle / tongue waving it around. The "tongue" is red and forked for the last 2", and it is doing what looks to be licking my cleaner shrimp.

There must be some explanation of this...

Looks like a spionid worm has set up housekeeping either right beside or within your mushroom.Shouldn't hurt it.

Back
Top Bottom