Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #1211
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
Lol. Are they getting their haircuts in the tank? Why not try trimming it in an exterior bucket then shaking them off really well so no "wild hairs" are free to roam in the tank

Old 03-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #1212
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I should start a thread on building your own algae scrubber, they work great. Nice haircut job!

Old 03-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #1213
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with the ATS thread. I did remove all frags and remove algae in a separate container and then threw it all down the garbage disposal.

There is so much I couldnt get, but I did do a 5 gallon (50%) pwc too.

That growth is crazy and on a 4 hour light schedule!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #1214
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yes please make a turf scrubber thread . I will be making one for my tank. And Tim if you don't mind me asking on your thread what is the purpose of a frag tank? Is it like a qt for corals ?
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #1215
Aquarium Advice Addict

Of course I don't mind you asking anything!

A frag tank is more for propegation than anything. Basically, it is used for growing out frags into bigger corals, either to sell or add to your main tank.

However, I'm sure that some people use them for a "QT" also to watch for nasties like nudibrachs, flatworms, etc.

My personal frag tank, was just to grow out the tiny corals that I bought. I have no room in my tank really, so I only want to keep like (4) out of the (21) I got, so I am going to try to grow the other ones, and make sure they are quite healthy and have nice growth, and then sell some, gift some, and take some to the LFS for credit.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #1216
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I didn't think about the resale value . I don't have corals yet but i always see the prices at the Lfs. I have read some about dipping so I didn't see why you would have to qt unless the corals came from a tank with fish . Makes more sense now. How much profit do you think you will get from those little ones in your frag tank?
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #1217
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tim, hope you dont mind if i ask you a quick question.
I just bought a nice little zoa colony the other day and im letting them grow out in my 20 gallon. They dont seem to be happy where they're at. Wheres the best place to put them or make them happier?
Old 03-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #1218
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondatek
I didn't think about the resale value . I don't have corals yet but i always see the prices at the Lfs. I have read some about dipping so I didn't see why you would have to qt unless the corals came from a tank with fish . Makes more sense now. How much profit do you think you will get from those little ones in your frag tank?
I do dip my corals now as well.

Honestly, as far as money is concerned, it's all about what people are willing to pay. The lot I bought was 21 corals for $150. One died so basically I paid $7.50 per frag.

I think that given enough time to grow (SPS are slow growing typically), I could sell a most of them for $20 each within a short time (couple months)

I wasn't in it for the money, it was all impulse. Some I'm giving away, and the LFS will probably give me a few dollars more than I paid for a couple.

If I was planning to sell them continually, I would try to do a much better setup than a 10 gallon with a cheap heater, PH, and some live rock. I'd be doing heavy filtration and more feeding for growth.

Also, if I decided to keep some corals for 6 months or so, I may be able to make $25-30 per coral in profit depending on color, type, etc.

I've never raised corals before so people who do probably have a much better idea on this stuff.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:38 PM   #1219
Aquarium Advice Addict

Double post...
Old 03-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #1220
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishkeeper92 View Post
Tim, hope you dont mind if i ask you a quick question.
I just bought a nice little zoa colony the other day and im letting them grow out in my 20 gallon. They dont seem to be happy where they're at. Wheres the best place to put them or make them happier?
I don't mind the question, but I'm not a zoa guy. I literally bought my 1st ones a few weeks ago. I had them mid tank at first, but the crabs couldn't stop knocking them off, so now they are on the sandbed.

Both places my zoas were and are fully opened, looking very happy. The mid-tank was moderate -> high flow, and the sandbed is moderate flow. Both under the Radion LED lights.

Tags
corner, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com