Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #1381
Aquarium Advice Addict

Man that tank is overgrown!! So awesome!

Old 09-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #1382
Aquarium Advice Addict

New addition. Been quite a long time. Had (5) fish forever. New Coral Beauty.

I haven't got a tank shot yet of her in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3953201432.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	120296  

Old 10-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #1383
Aquarium Advice Addict

Big updates:

So my last post was a picture of a Coral Beauty that I purchased from an awesome LFS. The fish was on hold for me for (2) weeks, and when I picked her up she looked awesome. Within a few days she had scar marks and what looked to be a hole near the top of her right fin. She didn't last, and I never saw her again (CUC).

This was my 2nd attempt at an angel, (Flame before) but alas it wasn't meant to be.

Previous to this, a few months ago I came home and I must've startled the Pink-spot goby because she flew like a torpedo out of the tank and landed next to me. Maybe she just wanted a hug... None the case, I scooped her up, cleaned off some hair and back in she went. Swam right to the bottom and other than heavy breathing, she was great. Next day I watched my serpent star drag her into the dark recesses of the tank, I couldn't react in time.

This morning, out of nowhere, I fed the tank as per my normal schedule and to my disbelief, no Midas Blenny. No rhyme or reason. I had noted that he seemed to be losing weight, but he ate like a pig, and I mean pig, everytime I fed. (Every other day)

Over the past few months I've seen and done these changes in the tank:
  1. I removed one of the MP10's and put it on another tank.
  2. The micro fauna in the tank had diminished - mini brittles, pods, bugs, worms, etc.
  3. Corals were growing faster than I could accommodate
  4. TONS of brown algae on the side glass and sandbed
  5. Scraping the front glass more often
  6. Fragged multiple 5-6" pieces off of the plate to eliminate shading
  7. Lost my Pachyseris coral, poirites
  8. Started feeding PhytoFeast again
  9. Lost Pink-spot goby (Had for year), Coral Beauty (3-4 days), and Midas Blenny (had for year)
As you can see there are lots of happenings.

The way that my rockwork is set-up in the tank absolutely sucks for flow. I have detritus build-up like crazy, and my corals are literally out of the water they've grown so much

The entire backside of the tank is basically one huge orange sponge that has fused itself to every rock in the tank. The fish have a ton of hiding / sleeping places, but its nearly impossible to move anything.

The reduced flow from removing (1) MP10 is, I'm certain, attributing to the algae on the sandbed and walls.

The nitrates are still running solid at 5ppm, never deviating. The rest of my tests are always well within spec as well, although I don't test for Mg. Honestly, I don't test very often until something bad or weird happens. Almost never.

I'm still doing weekly 15-20% PWC's without missing, ever.

My R.O. Skimmer takes 2-3 weeks before I have to empty the cup.

I still have my Radion set to Natural mode as well with about a 12 hour photo period from Dawn to Dusk. I'm convinced that (1) radion is barely enough to support what I have in the tank. The placement of corals are crucial.

Today I went to my normal LFS and bought a few turbo's, and (2) emerald crabs just for kicks. I also ended up buying a small school of (5) small blue/green chromis. Its ironic since I started the tank with (5) chromis that came with it.

I now house: (2) B/W clown pair, purple firefish, (5) chromis, many inverts.

It's very hard for me to find a "Swimmy" fish for such a small tank. My clowns swim in a 6" area most of the day and the firefish is the same. Hopefully my chromis will do some nice swimming stuff...

I would love to upgrade immediately, and I have so many ideas for aquascapes, and layouts, but I'm really trying to buckle down with the finances and keep my Debt snowball rolling along. ~Tip - Don't go $40K in debt with student loans, to get a Master's, unless you find a job that will pay them off for you. Even making $1K payments a month, it's still going to take me nearly (4) years!

I have still been doing a lot of planning about placement and such if I can find the perfect tank, for the right price. I know I'll be into it for at least one more Radion so thats $750, plus two MP40's and I'm toast.

Thats all for now. Thanks for hanging in there with me along my arduous journey.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #1384
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow dude, you don't seem to be having luck with the angels...I have a spot breast angel in my 54 corner and she is usually put most of the time. I know she isn't long term, nut I can get at least another year or 2 from her. Then off to the 180 for her... Also, I have a juvi fox face in the tank and he is out most of time. I added 2 green bubble tips and the tomato clown took to them right away.

I am also battling that brown algae on the sand, and its gross!!! I just installed a new skimmer today, and even though its not recommended, have vacuumed a small section of the sand about a week ago. The algae hasn't come back and hasn't increased. I also dialed down the whites on the Radions by 30% and the reds too. You,might try it, it's definitely not hurting me.

Good luck fellow corner tank mate!! If you do plan to upgrade. Grab the tank from Craigslist. I'm in south Florida and we picked up a 180g complete setup with halides (don't use them), and T5's and a stunner strip for 600.00. If your patient, you can get a deal. I know the loans are hard, been their, done that!!

Good luck!
Old 10-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #1385
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosesrblu1 View Post
Wow dude, you don't seem to be having luck with the angels...I have a spot breast angel in my 54 corner and she is usually put most of the time. I know she isn't long term, nut I can get at least another year or 2 from her. Then off to the 180 for her... Also, I have a juvi fox face in the tank and he is out most of time. I added 2 green bubble tips and the tomato clown took to them right away.

I am also battling that brown algae on the sand, and its gross!!! I just installed a new skimmer today, and even though its not recommended, have vacuumed a small section of the sand about a week ago. The algae hasn't come back and hasn't increased. I also dialed down the whites on the Radions by 30% and the reds too. You,might try it, it's definitely not hurting me.

Good luck fellow corner tank mate!! If you do plan to upgrade. Grab the tank from Craigslist. I'm in south Florida and we picked up a 180g complete setup with halides (don't use them), and T5's and a stunner strip for 600.00. If your patient, you can get a deal. I know the loans are hard, been their, done that!!

Good luck!
Thanks for the tips. I've tried manual removal of the algae too and it helps for sure. I'll look into the lights as well.

As for Craigslist, that's a no-brainer. I get everything from there nowadays. Currently there is a 220 gallon will all the fixins for $700. Tell me I'm crazy for sticking to my budget! I'm dying for it, but I have some will power left for now.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:15 AM   #1386
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tim I'm really sorry to hear about your angel, I have a flame that scared the crap out of me, cloudy haze over one eye, lots of garlic later alls well. I have the same luck though with those **** powder blue tangs, I love those fish.......but they don't love me Lol!!! I really hope your tank turns around that sucks. I'm really happy to find other people on here with 54 corner tanks, mine has been up and running for one whole month, I know impressive hahahaha
Old 10-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #1387
Aquarium Advice Addict

I added back the other MP10 to my tank. I had removed it and put it on my biocube. There wasn't enough flow and the sandbed was looking nasty. All the corals and fish responded positively.

I've also decided to start doing daily 1 gallon water changes instead of one weekly 5-7 gallon change. I read a great article about maintaining trace element levels better than doing one large change.

Can't remember if I mentioned this, but I also bought a clam. Nice 5" crocea clam. It's mantle is purple with electric blue lines throughout.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2623838716.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	127314   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1294376505.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	127315  

Name:	image-2382113138.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	127316  
Old 10-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #1388
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Nice clam. How are things below your birds nest? It is bigger than I recall, but its been awhile. Lower posts still dying off and shading other corals?
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #1389
Aquarium Advice Addict

The BN is certainly dying inside, but it keeps growing. I never had much of an issue with its shade as much as the Monti-cap. I broke a few 6x4" pcs off of it and now the whole tank is brighter. All my corals are doing well except my trumpet coral. For some reason about 6 out of 30 heads are shrinking up and not expanding. They are right in the middle of it - no clue what's up with that.

Other than that - all happy.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #1390
Aquarium Advice Freak

following;
I am also planning a set p for a 55g corner bow front

Tags
corner, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com