Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #1391
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know this is going to sound strange and might come with negative reaction, but have you considered backing off on the water change schedule to 20% once a month? Reefs and fish love stability and that is quite a bit for a small tank.

The stack of the rocks and circulation is super important and may have been a contributing factor to the death of your fish recently.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #1392
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Crabs
I know this is going to sound strange and might come with negative reaction, but have you considered backing off on the water change schedule to 20% once a month? Reefs and fish love stability and that is quite a bit for a small tank.

The stack of the rocks and circulation is super important and may have been a contributing factor to the death of your fish recently.
I agree with Mr. Crab, unless you have a really high bio load, you may not need that many water changes and as mentioned stability is a major factor in long term sucess.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:16 PM   #1393
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks guys, I always appreciate good feedback and advice. I too was looking for more stability. This is the article I read: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/index.php

It's all about water changes. In it, the author compares monthly large water changes to daily small water changes, and basically summarizes that while smaller (1) gallon pwc's are less efficient gallon to gallon, they keep things more stable.

I was hoping that changing out one gallon per day opposed to 5-7 per week would be more stable. My bioload is decent: (4) small Chromis, (2) b/w clowns and (1) purple firefish.

Do you think that one 20% monthy pwc would be better than daily 1 gallons? Certainly it's better than weekly 20%'s.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:05 AM   #1394
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTGF
Thanks guys, I always appreciate good feedback and advice. I too was looking for more stability. This is the article I read: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/index.php

It's all about water changes. In it, the author compares monthly large water changes to daily small water changes, and basically summarizes that while smaller (1) gallon pwc's are less efficient gallon to gallon, they keep things more stable.

I was hoping that changing out one gallon per day opposed to 5-7 per week would be more stable. My bioload is decent: (4) small Chromis, (2) b/w clowns and (1) purple firefish.

Do you think that one 20% monthy pwc would be better than daily 1 gallons? Certainly it's better than weekly 20%'s.
IMO, gradual in a aquarium is always best. Maybe cut the difference in half and do a couple of gallons every three days.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #1395
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just a couple things.

1) take is running smoothly. I added my 2nd MP10 back and that really improved everything. The reduced flow from (1) MP10 even at 100% was terrible. The sand bed looks nicer and the fish are out more. I'm breaking down my frag tank and I am taking a tunze 425 I have and putting it behind the rock-work as well.

2) been doing two (3) gallon pwc's per week and its not only easier, but more efficient for me.

3) I made my own homemade fish food today. "Blender Mush", as some call it. I put together (2) tilapia fillets, 12 raw, shelled shrimp, half a package of frozen krill, (6) mysis bubbles, (4) shark formula bubbles, (4) large scallops, half sheet of nori, and selcon. I mixed it in a food processor until I had small, tiny, and minuscule particles. I then put the majority in a large freezer bag and also filled two snack bags and flattened them all. I took a very small sample and fed the tank and everything went crazy. The fish were in a frenzy, the clowns went and fed their Duncan's, shrimp was dancing, and it was great. In my angler tank I put a small sample for the damsels and they went nuts and within 30 seconds the sun polyps were out too. Seems like a big hit.

The cost was about $15.00 for all the ingredients used. Ill have enough food to feed every 2- 3 days for around a year I'm guessing. 1/2" blocks x 327 = a lot of days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1278767317.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	130359  
Old 11-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #1396
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Awesome I have thought about making food for my tank as well just worried that I would be making with the wrong ingredients. After reading your post I may just try it.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #1397
Aquarium Advice Addict

I researched some before I did it for the same reason. Mr. X has a recipe of sorts on Renegade Reefers. If you type "blender mush" in google you'll see others too.

My understanding is that anything fresh from the ocean is okay. Nori sheets, of course any normal store bought fish food can be added. Some people even put spinach and broccoli into the mix.

One tip I've read over and over is to wash everything with RO water to remove unwanted nasties.

Good luck!
Old 11-07-2012, 11:18 PM   #1398
Aquarium Advice Addict

This one was on Craigslist:

Ingredients:
Golden Pearls
Fresh Squid
Fresh Shrimp (thoroughly de-shelled)
Fresh Scallops
Fresh Mussels
Fresh Octopus
Fresh Oysters
Fresh Mackerel (13x more omega-3 than Perch)
Mysis Shrimp
Brine Shrimp
Krill
Plankton
Saltwater Daphnia
Cyclop-Eeze
Organic spirulina algae
Reef Nutrition ArctiPods
Reef Nutrition RotiFeast
Reef Nutrition Oyster Feast
Fresh phytoplankton
Otohime B1 pellets
Otohime C2 pellets
Brightwell Aquatics AminoOmega - HUFA Omega 3/6 (like Selcon)
Brightwell Aquatics Restore
Brightwell Aquatics Koralle-VM
Brightwell Aquatics Garlic Power
Brightwell Aquatics MaxAmino
Brightwell Aquatics Vitamarin-M
Brightwell Aquatics Vitamarin-C
Brightwell Aquatics SpongExcel
Brightwell Aquatics CoralAmino
Brightwell Aquatics Microvore
Brightwell Aquatics KoralColor
Reefroids
ESV Spray-Dried Phytoplankton
Elos Phytoplankton
Coral Frenzy
Sea Veggies Seaweed, Purple
Sea Veggies Seaweed, Green
Sea Veggies Seaweed, Red
Old 11-08-2012, 03:18 AM   #1399
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I think that one is a bit over board. My fish seem to be very fat with a much simpler recipe I posted earlier this month. I think you might spend a week just finding all these ingredients. I won't do that for myself, much less the fish. Guess they will have to get by on fast food. My food mix is pretty much what MrX also was feeding if I remember right. Pretty much like yours as well.

As I said earlier, I take my mash in a towel and try to squeeze as much water as I can pull out of it. It adds less worthless liquid to the tank and it makes it a lot easier to break in to sections when frozen in flat sheets. I don't mince it up much past what you would mince ingredients for salsa. I want it to be in chunks from pin sized up. After thawing it is pretty easy to tear apart and my wrasses and tangs tear it up for the smaller fish.

I don't tend to add veggies as they get really smushed up. I feed those separately. But the proteins can be any seafood.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:45 PM   #1400
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I know there are several who read this thread that have the 54 gallon corner aquarium like myself. Can any of you tell me what type of sump and protein skimmer you have. Space is such an issue in the odd sized stand. I haven't had a skimmer but think I should add one as I am having a problem with brown powder like algae and the guy in my LFS said a protein skimmer would help. Any suggestions?

Tags
corner, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com