Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #1421
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank looks really nice.

As for the MP's, you are mostly correct. I started with (2) MP10's initially to replace two Koralia 750's. then for a short time I relocated one MP10 to my BC29 Angler tank. At that time, my 54 really suffered the loss of flow, the the BC was overkill even at the lowest settings. I found that in the BC, the return flow was plenty, and I replaced the 2nd MP10 on the 54.

I currently have the MP10's set as Master/ Slave, so they are opposites. When one is high flow the other is less and vice-versa. They are running at 100% MAX using the Lagoon program.

Even with all that, I still have lots if detritus buildup in the rear of the tank and plenty of crap on my sandbed. The 54 is very hard to maintain good flow IME.

I do have my PH's facing each other about 6" from the top and 4" from the front.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3763828378.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	137332   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2638424373.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	137333  

Old 12-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #1422
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTGF View Post
Tank looks really nice.

As for the MP's, you are mostly correct. I started with (2) MP10's initially to replace two Koralia 750's. then for a short time I relocated one MP10 to my BC29 Angler tank. At that time, my 54 really suffered the loss of flow, the the BC was overkill even at the lowest settings. I found that in the BC, the return flow was plenty, and I replaced the 2nd MP10 on the 54.

I currently have the MP10's set as Master/ Slave, so they are opposites. When one is high flow the other is less and vice-versa. They are running at 100% MAX using the Lagoon program.

Even with all that, I still have lots if detritus buildup in the rear of the tank and plenty of crap on my sandbed. The 54 is very hard to maintain good flow IME.

I do have my PH's facing each other about 6" from the top and 4" from the front.

Thanks for the response. Your tank looks great as well. I think I'm gonna have to drop another couple o hundred as much as I don't want to. I think the extra mp10 will help. I know I have phos in the tank do to the slime and hair. Just not sure the true reading. Wish I could get the chaeto to grow to help with it. I guess I entered into the never ending hobby.

Anyone here had any luck with bio pellets. They are intriguing to me.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #1423
Aquarium Advice Addict

The 2nd picture, I added so you can see how rediculously nasty my sandbed is even with nearly 2000 gph of flow all day.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #1424
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Why not add a couple of inexpensive power heads in the lower corners to blow all that stuff back into the water column?
Old 12-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #1425
Aquarium Advice Regular

Your sand-bed looks like you may have cyano as well. That is a crazy amount of flow to still have detritus buildup.
The reason I went with the mp10 is so I wouldn't have the power cords and just an overall cleaner look.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #1426
Aquarium Advice Addict

You are both correct. I have some cyano coming in, and since I have (4) Koralia 750's sitting in the box, I am planning to remove a large piece of liverock from the rear of the tank and have the 750 facing low and to the front of the tank to alleviate, hopefully, that area.

I used to have it set like that when I was first starting, but then I started freaking out about natural filtration and added a few large rocks and filled in the back area. It was a mistake, and then my corals over grew the top and I used the back rock, but not anymore.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #1427
Aquarium Advice Addict

Still waiting to complete the stand for the 40 gallon before I can transfer the liverock and add my 750 back in. Probably a couple weeks.

Also, since my last pink-spot took a flying leap after I came home one night and scared it, I've really missed having a bottom dweller. Today, while getting feeder shrimp, I finally saw the LFS got another one in. I bought her this morning and after acclimation, in she went. No QT though as the mantis in the QT would've not been good. Fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3759943198.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	139430  
Old 12-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #1428
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I'm sure he'll be fine Tim. Good luck with it.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #1429
Aquarium Advice Addict

Goby is still doing well. Definitely a jumper - got my lid on tight. She swims near the surface all day. Very odd behavior if you ask me. She swims along the side walls and by the powerheads. Weird.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:18 AM   #1430
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cool looking goby Tim.

My radion power supply took a dump. Light turns on and off every couple of seconds. Ecotech has been great. Light is about a year old and they are sending out another power supply second day air. I think I will either receive it Monday or Wednesday due to New Years. Just curious if my refugium bulb will work until I get the radion back on line. I don't have many Sps. I have a leather coral, BTA, some zoa's, green star polyps, and some xenias. Any tips or ideas if this will work till I receive the power supply, or should I try to rent something from my LFS (if that option is even available). Has anyone had this issue. I guess that what sucks about having a high tech light, it takes high tech dumps.
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tags
corner, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com