Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-28-2012, 03:27 AM   #1431
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow, that's crazy. So far no issues with mine. As far as corals, I've gone two full days without lights just to fight algae growth, so any light you use, if any will be fine for a couple days. The corals will probably be mad, but they should recover easily.

I've also heard anticdotal tales of folks target feeding corals when lights were down to suppliment food missing from lights. I've heard so much as that a reef lived with zero lights for months and the corals were just fed very well, just to see if it would work.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:43 AM   #1432
Aquarium Advice Addict

As most of you who have followed this thread, as well as my others, know by now that I like to experiment and go against the grain a bit. I like to think that I make educated impulse decisions. Well, it's about time that I tried something new...

What's in store for the 54 corner? Feeding.

I know, right? Who would've figured that? Well, it started about (2) months ago, when I went to a LFS in Lansing, and saw a poster for a Reefkeeping 101 class. I missed it. BUT, about 6 weeks later, I saw a facebook post talking about a class featuring information about "providing optimal nutrition for corals and invertabrates in the reef aquarium."

Given the fact that I'm setting up a mantis tank, I thought, how perfect. I went to the class, and it couldn't have been further from my expectations. It had nothing to do with what I had thought, plus it was a young man's first class, and he was quite nervous and ill-prepared. I could tell he was knowledgable, but went through 60 minutes of material in just under 25...

At any rate, the class was quite informative and really gave me a new perspective about feeding. After doing more focused research, I've found several sources providing the same / similar information.

The basis of the information is that, the "Classic" way of thinking about feeding a reef is: Feed sparingly at the top of the food chain, and everything else fends for itself or gets what it needs from the water column and lighting source.

This push towards a "New" way of thinking is focused on feeding the entire food web, and providing nutrition for the ecosystem as a whole and not just the fish.

More to come later.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:54 AM   #1433
Aquarium Advice Addict

What does this mean for me? As I starting reef keeping a couple years ago, I was amazed at the life that was in my reef. There was micro fauna everywhere in the forms of mini-brittle stars, asternia stars, dusters, fans, and pods of all kinds. I don't exactly know how or when, but over time all of these creatures slowly disappeared to minimal levels if any. Sponges are the only survivors of the bunch and continue to thrive and multiply.

My goal for this reef and my BC is to re-establish these "behind the scenes" reef creatures. I will start by adding multiple kinds of pods to the tank along with feeding phytoplankton. I plan to gradually ramp up the feeding and monitor my levels, mainly nitrate and phosphate, closely.

By no means will my findings prove or disprove anything and I won't necessarily be looking for any accelerated coral growth. Just want a thriving reef at all levels.

I'll update with more specifics soon. My hands are cramping from phone typing.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #1434
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

That is interesting. I say this because it is the approach that I'm currently taking, just giving it a name I guess. I have been broadcast feeding daily I top of the twice weekly feeding of shrimp or blood worms.

I started this about a month ago. This was after thinking and researching after the death of my maxima clam. I liked that clam. I refused to fail again. This clam was very small, though I didn't know that at the time. And with that, small clams rely on filter feeding along with light much more than larger clams. I did not know that part. So I am now applying daily reef chili. Have not seen an increase in phosphates at all. Algae growth has remained the same, just being forced to grow in the sump...don't think I'd call it a fuge anymore since I have 2 sections, but there is a nice growth of hair algae on the side of the tank where the fuge light shines to keep my red bone grass alive. Will probably see even better results if my skimmer would work consistently.

It has only been a month. I haven't seen an increase in life, as the tank has always been full of mini bristles and what not. But I have 3 dusters, a coco worm, and a large derasa clam now. If long term results come from the coco, ill call it a success.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #1435
Aquarium Advice Regular

Tim thanks for the advice. Just rec'd the tracking update today looks like I will be recipe ring the part jan 2. My tank will have been without its original lighting for 7 days or so. Looks like I will just let the 5000k bulb do whatever magic it can.

That's an interesting point regarding feeding. I do have much more life in my refugium than the DT. Do you think the lack of life in the DT is also your fish consuming the little critters more than the actual feeding. I'm sure you have thought of it. I just notice my six line wrasse constantly picking at the rocks searching for food.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #1436
Aquarium Advice Freak

Newbie here...what is reef chilli and where can I get this? I have been feeding almost daily frozen shrimp. I have an abundance of brittle stars and copepods and after 9 months of running my 12g just discovered a amphipod but was gone the next day.
LED lights
Spicemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #1437
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/catalo.../view/id/1799/
Old 12-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #1438
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicemonkey View Post
Newbie here...what is reef chilli and where can I get this? I have been feeding almost daily frozen shrimp. I have an abundance of brittle stars and copepods and after 9 months of running my 12g just discovered a amphipod but was gone the next day.
Greg beat me to it...

All the key ingredients are included in BRS Reef
Chili:
• Bio-engineered Zooplankton
• Spray Dried Phytoplanton
• Freeze Dried Rotifers
• Freeze Dried Copepods
• Dried Daphnia
• Spirulina Powder
• Artemia Nauplii replacement diet

Basically Reef Chili is an all-in-one coral food created by Ryan, one of the co-founders of BRS.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #1439
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTGF View Post

Greg beat me to it...

All the key ingredients are included in BRS Reef
Chili:
• Bio-engineered Zooplankton
• Spray Dried Phytoplanton
• Freeze Dried Rotifers
• Freeze Dried Copepods
• Dried Daphnia
• Spirulina Powder
• Artemia Nauplii replacement diet

Basically Reef Chili is an all-in-one coral food created by Ryan, one of the co-founders of BRS.
Good to know. I have heard others make mention of said food but I now understand much better. dare I say...this site RAWKS!!!
LED lights
Spicemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:32 AM   #1440
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've ordered some reef chili as well as some freeze-dried cyclops. Next I'm looking into whether the long term cost savings for growing phytoplankton outweigh the initial cost and setup trouble. Once I get that going, I'll be ordering a few thousand pods to seed my 54 and BC. Probably get them from reefs2go. Then the feeding schedule will start.

Tags
corner, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com