Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #1471
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah but it will find its sweet spot lol

Old 02-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #1472
Aquarium Advice Addict

Went to the LFS today. Hadn't been there since my Biocube was wiped out by what I feel was tainted shrimp... A mystery ill never solve. They have a virtual tour on Google Maps that was very cool and I saw some things that had changed so I decided to check it out.

My visit gave me mixed reviews. I heard some disturbing advice being given to a family that was just starting out and wanted some advice on buying corals. Long story short, the worker described what was needed / recommended for housing corals, and the husband and wife described their equipment (or lack thereof) and rather than break the news that they weren't quite ready, the worker said, "that should work out fine, it's not that important."

The couple were very new and had extremely small knowledge about anything, including what they had. What I got from them was that they had a small HOB filter on a 40 long tank. A small heater, and a small LED light. The LFS told them that they were able to keep any coral. Wow. Not impressed.

To be fair, the 10 other LFS workers that I normally deal with are almost anal about knowing your system before selling anything.

Going in, my plan was to pick up a Royal Gramma and some snails for the Mantis. The only RG they had was around 1" and they wanted $25, so I passed. I ended up talking them into (2) firefish (the regulars) and (1) purple pseudo-chromis, plus three red legged crabs, 3 Ceriths, and three moon snails, for $30. Not too bad. Didn't gets pics because I literally got called into work as I was acclimating and just got back after lights out.

On a side note, the RBTA seems to have settled.

On another side note: I am updating my review of my small mag-rock. For those who don't know what this is, it is a man-made rock with a magnet built in. I had the mag-rock less than a year if I can recall, and along the time, it took quite a while to be covered by coralline and other stuff, but it finally did, and I had several corals, the latest being a large acro colony. Today, one of the Floating bags hit the rock and Knocked the coral onto the sand bed. No biggie, snails bump it all the time and it turns and dumps the coral. Today while gently placing the coral on the rock, the whole thing came apart in about 10 golf-ball sized pieces. Some fell on. My new, one hit a clownfish, serval fell on my cup coral, and most just hit the sanded. It was a gigantic mess and when I tried picking up the pieces they broke into popcorn sized pcs and it was terrible. Since I got the rock, a few small pieces had broken off, but this was crazy. Just a warning that if any of your tank structure is using these, beware that most likely you are in for a rude awakening. I haven't googled to find others with same issue. I suspect I'm not alone.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #1473
Aquarium Advice Addict

Congrats on your new fish, can't wait to see the pictures later! Sorry about your rock by the way, that is unacceptable!
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #1474
Aquarium Advice Addict

Touched a rock next to the nem today and it shrank so fast it was crazy. 8" to .5" in seconds. It's finally coming back around now... Geesh...

One if the two firefish still hides constantly and only pokes its head out a few rare times. The rest of the fish are still out and about, minus the purple pseudo who is still coming around. Much bolder now, but when I'm not standing in front of the tank, you'd think it was barren. All (6) fish are constantly hiding until I come over and they all start to swim around.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #1475
Aquarium Advice Addict

Forgot to add the pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1434297604.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	158433   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-840264586.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	158435  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1005581298.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	158436  
Old 03-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #1476
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nice!!! Looks great!!
LED lights
Spicemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #1477
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wow so kool
Old 03-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #1478
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Looks great Tim.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #1479
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow Tim that looks great....
Old 03-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #1480
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Looks great

Tags
corner, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com