Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You might be able to just you will kill your ro cartridge quickly. And that will get pricy fast.

I love seeing the progress on your tank. I like seeing how you have your corner laid out. The Monti is a great center piece, I regret I had never thought of it for mine.

Rob - RO/DI is fantastic. I live in an apartment that pays the water bill for me, so no worries there. I just hook it to the kitchen sink and have it run into my Brute that's sitting in the "Pantry / Utility room".

For whatever reason, my apartment has a 6' x 8' utility room... I'm not complaining, but it seems like a huge waste of sq. footage.

Anyway, the RO/DI fills my 32 gallon can in about 6 - 6.5 hours. The fact that I don't have to go to the store is priceless.

Kc - Thanks for the feedback. I'm pretty happy myself. The only thing I really wish I had equipment-wise is a hood. The light really lights up my entire dining room and living room.

I'm happy with my selection, but I would love more SPS's. My biggest fear is that when I go to Japan in a year, the tank won't get all the love that I give it!

The monti was a great impulse buy, and I love how it looks.

All I want now is a few blue mushrooms, some pulsing xenia, plate coral, and some more "birdnest-type" SPS's.

After that I think I can finally sit-back and enjoy the show with some well deserved popcorn.

Once I figure out youtube, I'll for sure get a video up.

EDIT** KC - didn't you just get a Marine Beta or something? How is it doing? There's one at my LFS and I really like it. (Not for my tank, as I have my plan) but in general.

How much waste water do u get cuz mine is a crazy number for every one gallon I have 3 gallons of waste and I am tired of the big water bills

I'm sure that mine is about the same... I don't collect it, the hose goes right down the sink.

Really wish you could all see how colorful this is...

Love it. That is definitely on my list. Just waiting to be sure the tank has matured enough. I am only 4 months in so I figure a around Christmas I will be ready. :)

Came out this morning to find everyone, but the p. firefish swimming. Looked all over, then realized I left the glass lid open yesterday all day and night... Pretty sure the firefish went carpet surfing and the cat got a $30 treat.

I was getting all down about losing such a beauty from a stupid mistake, and out she comes front and center! Yay!!!

Not much to be done with the waste water other than route it to a barrel outside to water your plants with. If you have a grey water system for your house, you can route it into that to flush your toilets and such.

Came out this morning to find everyone, but the p. firefish swimming. Looked all over, then realized I left the glass lid open yesterday all day and night... Pretty sure the firefish went carpet surfing and the cat got a $30 treat.

I was getting all down about losing such a beauty from a stupid mistake, and out she comes front and center! Yay!!!

Great news. Got to love a happy ending. :)

As for the waste water on RO/DI system, it caused my water bill to go up by 25%. But since it used to be $20/mth that means it is now only $24/mth so I guess I will live. :)

I did add a Betta a couple of weeks ago & he is doing great. Like I said in another thread he is quite difficult to feed due to this Harliquin basslet I have. I've made a couple of attempts to catch him and I have yet to get close so I think I'm going to rig some sort of trap in the near future. I'm also thinking of building a new stand for my 54 and at that time I'll also do a matching canopy & I'll pass my current on to you. That is if you have not upgraded yet. lol I feel a 100+ corner coming soon. I Hope

KcTx said:
I did add a Betta a couple of weeks ago & he is doing great. Like I said in another thread he is quite difficult to feed due to this Harliquin basslet I have. I've made a couple of attempts to catch him and I have yet to get close so I think I'm going to rig some sort of trap in the near future. I'm also thinking of building a new stand for my 54 and at that time I'll also do a matching canopy & I'll pass my current on to you. That is if you have not upgraded yet. lol I feel a 100+ corner coming soon. I Hope

Is ur betta in a reef tank all the research I have done said it is reef safe but then said its not kept in reef tanks cuz it will eat small fish and invertebrates cuz I really like them and would love to put one in my tank

I have my betta In with allot of coral & inverts. I have dwarf hermit crabs, bristle worms, serpent star, sea cucumber, sails of all sorts small & large. As far as coral goes I've got hammer, frog spawn, shrooms, Xenia, flower pot, evergreen, chalice & some other stuff I'm forgetting. But he don't mess with anything. I had also read that they might nip @ corals but I did more research and lots of people say there not nippers!
Hope this Long winded post helps. LOL

Kc

rob_mango said:
Cool I think I will get one I like how they look

You could probably completely set up a freshwater tank with a FW betta for the price of a SW betta.

Back
Top Bottom