Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the same setup as you, when I got my tank it came with a 7 gal acrylic sump. I wanted a fug but space was a issue as I'm sure you know. This Is what I came up with and it works well In the small space & I've got about everything I need in there. The only thing I would have done different would to have put my skimmer before my fug instead of after. But other than some green foam I have seen no issue.

Kc

Attachments

• image-975786701.jpg
    image-975786701.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 280
  • image-2887503554.jpg
    image-2887503554.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 288
Kc, thanks for the idea - looks like a really nice set-up you did. Yes, we must be creative in this little space we have. Just another curious quesiton while you're here... Do you go coverless on your tank, or do you keep the cover on?

I have the canopy on with the cover ontop of that, then my light ontop of that. I gained 16 gal with my fug and I love it. although it's tall I had to work with what i had. lol I'm using the same light as you, only it's the 30" model.

I have decided for simplicity to go with the Eshopps PSW 75 In-Sump skimmer. It fits the ready made sump perfectly and got really good reviews. AND its $105 shipped.

I also ordered a new light for the fug, it's only 2 1/4" tall so that will clear up some space & look much cleaner above the fug.

If it matters this is how mine looks in the sump. Don't mind the blurry picture..lol

img_1506320_0_8aa0c1352ce888ea87ec2c9740dde7f8.jpg

KC

Nice! It looks really good - do you have any threads with your tank pics? What you got going on in that thing?

Thanks Carey, that is helpful - I appreciate it! Do you have (2) lights over the fuge? One LED and one PC?

Thanks Carey, that is helpful - I appreciate it! Do you have (2) lights over the fuge? One LED and one PC?

I really only use the led light when I'm workingunder there and need bright light to see what I'm doing. I think the leds are too bright for the refugium.

Kc - I like it - seems that we have very similar tastes, what size ph's are you running? I just ordered to Koralia 750's. I did the opposite though, added fish before the corals - I'm going tomorrow morning to get my royal gramma, sixline, and diamond goby - though they will be QT'd for a while before they go in the DT.

Carey, I was wondering why you would need so much light, but the PC seems to do the trick for your macro?

Yeah, I believe its a 25w fixture, it cost me like $40 bucks more when I ordered my sump. :)

I gotta say the leds look cool though, but I'll be using it for my new tank soon.

So just had a minor disaster - went to the LFS and picked up a Royal Gramma, sixline, and a diamond goby. Got home, drip acclimated for almost 2 hours, put them in the QT, and when I went to move the QT, I hit the corner of the wall and cracked the corner. Well I didn't think it was that bad, till I came back and half of the water was on the counter top! :banghead:

Cross your fingers, cause I'm putting them in the DT..!!! :eek:

The fish look good, and the LFS had QT'd them for me for (1) week, but thats not enough. I just hope I made the right decision!

You have to do what you have to do, good luck! Most likely you will be fine but I can understand your concern.

More pics in the DT...

If you noticed you didn't see the Royal Gramma... Yeah me neither since he's been in the DT. :rolleyes:

But another question - Are Flame Angels and Sixline Wrasses supposed to become buddies?

As soon as I put the sixline in the tank he went and found the angel and they've been inseparable ever since - rubbing each other and swimming...
:fish1::fish2:

More questions...

My new goby is like a lawnmower with the sand, he's already done around 2 square feet, in a little over an hour - he's kicking up tons of sand and dust. Will the addition of lots of flow help with this?

In my over flow are two semi-circle, basically brillo filters - do i need these or should I just remove them? - they do collect some junk, but I was told by the last owner of my tank to rinse and shake them in the old dirty water change water. Any real advice or opinions?

Thanks.

Updates: Goby sifting like a champ, sixline and flame are still best pals, and royal gramma is still MIA.

TLTGF said:
More questions...

My new goby is like a lawnmower with the sand, he's already done around 2 square feet, in a little over an hour - he's kicking up tons of sand and dust. Will the addition of lots of flow help with this?

In my over flow are two semi-circle, basically brillo filters - do i need these or should I just remove them? - they do collect some junk, but I was told by the last owner of my tank to rinse and shake them in the old dirty water change water. Any real advice or opinions?

Thanks.

Updates: Goby sifting like a champ, sixline and flame are still best pals, and royal gramma is still MIA.

I think it will just continue. Lol I hear that's All they do. I'm. On the fence as far as getting one cause of the constant mess.

One more question...

Is it possible to have too many hiding places? I have all these beautiful fish, and 80% of the time it looks like I have a live rock display... During feeding time and a few other random times when I'm home the fish are all out, swimming like crazy, in and out of the rock tunnels and caves. On the other hand, more often than not its a ghost town and all the fish are hiding.

Any ideas on how to entice them out? If this is normal for these fish, I have no issue, but if its something I'm doing wrong / conditions not right... I don't want my fish stressed or unhappy.

Just a reminder: Flame angel, sixline, royal gramma, diamond goby, (4) green chromis.

Back
Top Bottom