Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TLTGF said:
Apparently I have a 54 gallon tank - for some reason I don't understand this at the LFS and I end up getting HUGE corals that are way bigger than I thought...

Cause some plan changes for sure!

The tank is looking absolutely fantastic! (y)

Thank you!

Here are today's additions:

There's about 10 nassarius snails, I bought 5. 2 pepps, and a Midas blenny.

Terrible picture, but he was unbelievably stressed. He was charcoal with black stripes - I went home at 7 for lunch and he was still chilling, same color, but alive, so good to go.

TLTGF said:
Thank you!

Here are today's additions:

There's about 10 nassarius snails, I bought 5. 2 pepps, and a Midas blenny.

Terrible picture, but he was unbelievably stressed. He was charcoal with black stripes - I went home at 7 for lunch and he was still chilling, same color, but alive, so good to go.

Awesome! Very cool!

Thanks - I also removed the (2) green Chromis from my tank and donated to LFS.

I was getting overstocked and dealing with nitrates, and as Mr. X pointed out in a very common sense way... When battling nitrates, adding a 7th fish isn't going to help much.

Both Chromis were constantly in the rocks so getting them out was a miracle. One was already looking terrible, I snapped a few pics before i got him.

your tank looks out freckin standing! Now that I got your address you gonna wake up and that monti will be gone. lol

LOL!, I suppose if you paid for that flight and rented a car just to steal the monti - I wouldn't even be mad.

I would love a shot of the Midas too... My plan was to have him in the QT for a couple weeks as a super stressed out fish from California freaks me out a bit. Unfortunatly, I learned extremely quickly just after acclimating that he was a jumper. I only have a 10 gallon QT, and as soon as he touched the water he flew out at breakneck speed. I had to grab him from the table, and put him into the DT. Luckily the water in the QT was directly from it, so no shock there.

He settled in yesterday at 2 or 3:00p. I came home at 7ish to check up, and saw him still black and gray. He saw me, kinda looked around and then hid behind a rock.

I got home at 3:00a, nothing so far. I woke up at 9:00a, and still no sign of him or the pepperment shrimps. I didn't think I'd be seeing much of the snails as they are under the sand.

I'm going to give it a while before I get too concerned. I haven't seen any piles of CUC anywhere. He was very stressed, so I'm not suprised that he is still in hiding.

Mine was also darker in color for about a day or two before he got all his yellow back. After the 2 days or so he was out front and center so hopefully yours will be the same way. probably just getting used to his new home. They can fit in the smallest holes so he most likely found a good one and is chilling in there. :)

Yup, I'm only 85.6% concerned right now ;) I did a drip acclimation for just under (2) hours, my params look good, so I know I did my part right.

When I first added him to the DT, after the QT debacle, he tried to jump from there as well, but got caught in a corner and didn't go anywhere, though he splashed a lot.

What was funny was that he swam to the sandbed, literally 1" from the firefish. As I watched thinking that the FF would do something, it just laid there, and the Midas scooted over twice until they were touching. All I could think was "Please hold me..." LOL

You likely will hardly ever see the Peppermint shrimps they are a very shy creature. The Midas should be more social in the next day or two.

I've heard a lot of people say that pepperments r shy. But mine were awsome. Probably were starving after feasting on glass anenamones for a week, and yea they did the job, but they would litterally swim out in open water during feeding. It was so funny seeing there little legs going a hundred mile an hour trying to swim. Lol

I've got a Scarlet that's all over the tank and I really like him. I wasn't sure if the pepps would be out or not. I have so much rock and places to hide, they could go forever without me seeing them.

The one bad thing about a corner tank with painted sides is that I only have one bowfront window to try to see and its hard when everything is hiding in the rocks.

I do hope the Blenny pulls through. I've wanted one forever, and I'd hate to lose the poor little guy. I know LA has the 14 day guarantee, but I don't know if they need a picture of the body or what, cause if so, that's a lot of rock to move and hopefully the CUC didn't get there first!

I've had a few fish disappear without a trace, so I REALLY want this one to live. It is the final stock in the tank. I will keep updating.

I guess I'll have some new pics up in a day or so. Tim's tank has made me want to push mine over. lol I added a new fish tonight (coral beauty) along with a bubble coral a free coco worm and about 6 more nassarius snails. Did allot of moving & removing of rock but I find I'm never happy when I'm done.

shazzam that thing looks good. I'm going to get started on my stand after the 1st of the year, I'm going to go with metal to get the max amount of room under the aquarium for sump/skimmer & fug.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to seeing your metal fabricated stand. Is it gonna be all metal and are you planing on powdercoating. If so I've seen some pretty cool powdercoat materials out there. This stand was kind of a pain in the a$$. Not as cheap to build as I was hoping. I found a company (Anderson international) that sold pre fabricated curved plywood for the face and then had it laminated with oak. The company who laminated it for me cut the doors out as well. The face alone cost me 300 bux by the time it was all said and done. I'm finishing up the varnish right now. 4 coats means 4 days. Turns out watching paint dry is actually pretty boring. That crap takes about 12 hours between coats due to the weather right now. I'm tired of spending $$ and im not even able to enjoy the **** aquarium yet. Lol

Back
Top Bottom