Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was looking at the Mp10's but I refuse to spend that much coin in just 1 let alone 2. I have to upgrade my ph's for sure. The jbj 500's are a joke.

I've got two koralia 750's and the flow is fantastic... I am debating on adding another smaller ph for behind the rock-work as I believe that may have contributed to my high nitrates.

For me right now the only issue is that the corner style tank limits the functionality of the mp10's, or so I've been told.

Other than that, I've got the upgrade / mts bug at the moment and I'm thinking of waiting until I get a 125 or something to add the mp40's... It's only money, right? ;)

TLTGF said:
For me right now the only issue is that the corner style tank limits the functionality of the mp10's, or so I've been told.

Other than that, I've got the upgrade / mts bug at the moment and I'm thinking of waiting until I get a 125 or something to add the mp40's... It's only money, right? ;)

Lol. Someone said somewhere that Reef aquariums are realistically just money held in a glass container.

I'd go for the larger tank and upgrade equipment with it. The bigger tank is going to need bigger equipment. If you are keeping this tank as well as getting a new tank- then upgrade away. Tinker as long as you can til you get the 125. IMO- once you can't tinker anymore, then it's time to upgrade

TLTGF said:
I've got two koralia 750's and the flow is fantastic... I am debating on adding another smaller ph for behind the rock-work as I believe that may have contributed to my high nitrates.

I've been thinking of adding a ph behind my rock as well. You should check out the aqueon power heads. There all really small for their flow rate. The nano is rated at 500 gph and is the size of a D battery.

What does everyone think about a good DSB for my tank? I've seen aragonite and I like the fine brilliant white looks it displays. I've also been told it has more nutrients than sand. I realize its not cheap prob gonna take around five bags. Any comments regarding this substrate would be appreciated.

LOL, I'm adding 2 new 800ish ph's not sure witch ones yet & putting them on my JBJ wavemaker And then I'll add one of the 500's to the back corner & leave it on constant. I'm hoping that will give me everything I want. I think my next big purchase is going to be a apex controller.

If your gonna go with the dsb I would go with oolitic. It will be better for denitrification. Your not supposed to disturb the sand bed too much with a dsb. So you can only vacum the top later. With a course substrate decaying matter will work it's way down into the bed and possibley cause more harm than good.

So kc, do u wish u woulda gone with the 1600s? I'm thinking about getting those in feb when marine depot has them for 25% off. Kinda scared though. I only got a 40g breeder with a dsb. Might cause a sand storm.

I think the 1600 will be to much, I have a koralla 1300 that I put everywhere in my tank and I think it would be ok but all my soft coral hated it & the fish loved it. I did blow my sandbed all over also now that I think about it. I'm going to call JBJ monday and discuse my tank and issue with them, maybe since my 500's are so new they will exchange them.

my buddy has the big apex & it's pimp, BUT everything is a add-on. For me the ability to watch my tank from anywhere is the stuff dreams are made of... I just don't know if I want to pull the trigger on $500 then another bill for a modem to work with iphone. 600 bones is takin away from my bike fund & car fund. lol I have to many high $$$ hobbies!

I just paid off the Hayabusa yesterday... Whoo hoo. I still owe $16k on my boat that is aptly named "It's Only Money", still trying to sell that one.

Other than that, my aquarium is my only year round hobby at the moment. I figure that I can fit another maybe (3) SPS's total, mushrooms, and one more acan or something, and this tank is maxed.

After that, it'll all be going to saving for another tank. Of course that is if I don't end up going overseas. If that happens, life changes.

If not, then I'll more than likely start scoping out a deal on a 125+ set-up. I'd like to keep my corner tank in addition though.

Again, I'm on the fence with spending the money on the controllers, MP's, and LED's. I think that as long as this tank is going good, I'll save that stuff for the next build.

Yea the 1600s r gonna be too much for me. Just sux to get a third the power for only $20 cheaper. But I'm getting ready to set up my sump with a quiet one 4000 (rated 1000gph, will probably get about 400 flowing thru a scwd), and I'm gonna get a tunze wavebox in a couple months. So the 1600s won't do. Wish they had something in between :(

I have a couple years till mine is payed for, maybe 18 more months on it. I plan on surprising the wife on Xmas with her Mustang that is finally finished! woot woot

I'd like to upgrade tanks but it's not a option until we move or build a new house. Both the wife & I are bummed about it.

I also read somewhere that the tunze WB wouldn't work correctly in corner tank? I have no true fact on this though.

I started a thread about wavemakers the other day and that came up. Nobody had any experience with it, but the concensus was that it probably wouldn't work.

Back
Top Bottom