Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a buddy that has a 100 gallon corner reef system and he has a tunze WB on his he uses the magnetic holders on the overflow and built the aqua scape around it so u can't see it and the water is pushed out from a cave straight to the front and he has a good wave in his tank

The possibilities are endless. My thought on all of this is as I previously stated, if it ain't broke... Right now I have a (6) month running tank that, other than a few bumps, is really thriving.

I would love to give my tank a cleaner more modern look with all the bells and everything, but in the end, it looks great and if everything is happy, I'll be happy to not spend $1500+ on a wave maker, PH's, and a controller. Not to mention a titanium heater, skimmer, better / quieter return pump, ATO, etc. ;)

I do have a bad feeling that in about 6 weeks when I've filled the tanks capacity for livestock, I'll start eyeing all that wonderful equipment.

That is so true but the one thing I have learned is it will save you headaches and money to get the good stuff the first time but I agree with u if ur tank is thriving let it go and see where it takes you

Can't argue with that!

Mini-update: feeding time this morning, I saw the (2) peppermint shrimp, 7 out of 9 of the new nassarius snails, and of course all of the fish including the blenny. His new hidey-hole is right out front so I see him lots!

Everything is alive and well.

but my money is burning a hole in my pocket!!!!! lol I think I just need to get the new stand built so I can rescape & make some plumbing changes. I have changed my mind on the controller as-well. I can see dumping $600 on A controls when I don't even do water tests. lol I am going To go Ahead and order all 3 available Hanna digital testers, I can see that being a bad investment.
With the car coming home I'm positive I'll find something to buy. Not to mention riding weather in done here, or at-least for me.... sooo now's the time to do any work on it.

+1 on the checkers - that's an investment I'm going to make as well. Calcium 1st, then alk, then phosphates, and mg if they got it.

A tunze nano wb is like 330. And I really like the look of a standing wave, plus the benefits of the added flow and almost zero dead spots. With the Hanna checkers do you still gotta use a liquid reagent? So it's not really any less work, just more accurate. Right?

Thanks guys - as for the checkers, I believe you still have a reagent that is similar in price to normal tests, but yes, more accurate.

I have all three hanna checkers and 2 of them are absolute musts!! BUT the calcium one is crappy. I'm returning it to BRS and getting a replacement to see if its just my meter or it stinks in general. I had to go out and buy distilled water, was told by hanna ro/di water wasnt pure enough. lol Still got WAY WAY inflated readings though. Like 600 plus. On all my tanks. So i might hold off on that hanna checker.

Your Hanna might have been pulled off the market there was a recall on a lot of them due to that reason and they are being replaced with new ones..... and on that note they have a new way that you have to use it to test ur water

do you remember where you read about the recall? And about new directions? I still have the unit and the rma number to return it, just havent gotten to it yet. lol

OK so YouTube there is a Guy who's name is mrsaltwatertank and he sits down with the people from Hanna and they explained the issues and how to get the right readings it is on the video of the fish supply expo part 2 I was not able to post the link here

Thanks for the info, I will go and try to find it.

:-D

Very informative clip, I will keep my eyes open for any updates. Also cant wait for the magnesium or nitrtae hanna test coming out next year. that should be awesome!

Thanks again for the info

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom