Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea as far as lighting I was gonna go with the jbj nano led. Its really compact hopefully it puts out enough light. I just didn't want anything bulky. Was your light mounted on top of your fuge or the side?

Are you talking about the 90 going into your fuge that is burping or the 90 from the tank. If its the fuge and you replace the 90 with a tee and drill a hole I wont it leak in your stand? Just trying to clarify.

Kahner, how did you wash your oolite? I was told it was important to wash it to avoid a cloudy tank. I was almost thinking about just throwing the stuff in the tank with the live rock and letting the bag filter in my sump handle the cloudiness. Seems alot easier than trying to wash this stuff using a screen. Also in Southern California the water sucks and I was told not to use it to wash the sand. I do t think the sand storm would hurt anything. Its gonna be a couple of weeks for the tank to cycle anyway. Could you see any problems doing it this way

The 90 that I'm talking about making noise is the one that is in the tank, I made a short video I'll post.

Lol... The cleaner is behind the bag in the tank! He's not new... I got a queen conch (1st pic), red / purple lobo brain (2nd pic), serpent (3rd pic), 10 nerite snails (4th pic).

You should like the serpent star, I;ve had really good luck with mine he's been in the tank since I started it. He's really cool to watch too if he's out. Mine will eat pellets that fall near him, he just rolls his leg up with the pellets all attached, very neat!

I am loving inverts and really wanted a star... I knew linkias and fromera???? Stars were not easy, and he was.

Got the first one in the tank - had a surprise with it...

Got a nice yellow sponge growing on the side. The guy at LFS and myself were careful to not expose to air.

katoom27 said:
Kahner, how did you wash your oolite? I was told it was important to wash it to avoid a cloudy tank. I was almost thinking about just throwing the stuff in the tank with the live rock and letting the bag filter in my sump handle the cloudiness.

I had quite a bit of sand sitting in a cooler from my tank I took down like a year ago. I did rinse that stuff pretty heavy to try and get rid of the dead matter. But I've added a few ten pound bags and a twenty pound bag of live since I set up this tank. I didn't rinse any of that. I've actually read that it's better not to. That stuff your rinsing away is like dust size sand. You want as much surface area as you can get, including that dust. So yea just turn off your powerheads for a few hours, maybe a day, and let it settle. Maybe run a mechanical filter.

Star seems to be doing well - he went and gave the clam a big hug, slapped a few small hermits and headed for a cave.

Also thought I'd add a gratuitous FTS

TLTGF said:
I am loving inverts and really wanted a star... I knew linkias and fromera???? Stars were not easy, and he was.

Got the first one in the tank - had a surprise with it...

Got a nice yellow sponge growing on the side. The guy at LFS and myself were careful to not expose to air.

Very cool!

TLTGF said:
Star seems to be doing well - he went and gave the clam a big hug, slapped a few small hermits and headed for a cave.

Also thought I'd add a gratuitous FTS

The tank looks fantastic! Nice job!

Thanks - the star is cheap too - $8 at the LFS and it's bigger than my hand stretched out. Nice addition.

Guess I'll post a updated pics also, Tim I hope your SS comes out more than mine, I have never seen him out In the open.

image-1703539079.jpg

Looks great! All the fish are out and happy - clam looks good (at least yours sits right-side up).

I woke up this morning to one casualty, a nerite snail. Not even sure if he was in the shell to begin with, but I think so.

The conch is doing laps, the lobo is really opened up and looking great, and the snails are all over the glass. I initially watched last night as the star crept away, and this morning I saw (1) leg at like 7:30a... However, after I fed the tank, he stuck another arm out of the cave he's in and has been waving it since. I can see about 4" of one arm. :)

Back
Top Bottom