Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So far so good - other than nitrates at 20ppm, which (2) 40% pwc's took care of, surprisingly it was all okay.

I should hear within a few weeks about Japan, and then I'll know more. If I stay, 1st thing I'm getting is the skimmer.

I also decided to cutback feeding to every other day instead if daily.

TLTGF said:
I also decided to cutback feeding to every other day instead if daily.

I think you can still feed daily if you can break it up into a bunch of small snacks. I like to feed tiny amounts many times a day in different parts of the reef so somebody other than the pigs get fed.

Gregcoyote said:
I think you can still feed daily if you can break it up into a bunch of small snacks. I like to feed tiny amounts many times a day in different parts of the reef so somebody other than the pigs get fed.

I do the same thing. I feed 3x a day in small amounts. Frozen once, flakes in another spot- and another frozen in a full length drag of the tank before bed. Of course I also have seaweed in all day. Not saying what I do is right. Just felt like talking. Lol

Interesting... I haven't heard many with this side of the argument.

So when you guys feed, do you shut down your powerheads? I've always left mine on and it seems to blow the food all over the place. I've never "spot fed" so to speak.

With the corner tank, I've only got 23" or so lengthwise...

I usually feed flake, but every 3rd day I was feeding frozen, and last weekend I bought pellet in interim of getting silversides for the serpent star.

I've quite honestly never seen anyone else put food in their tank, so I'm guess I just assumed to put a pinch under the lid and let it rip.

The natural reef is a very competitive environment, where feeding happens all day long. They like to nibble, but will gorge when the opportunity exists. The old rule is to feed slowly so not so much food gets wasted in nooks and crannies. Some folks flood the tank with food for filter feeders, but I don't do that, I just feed small amounts in different parts of the tank as the opportunity presents itself. I also have seaweed 24/7 available.

I feed phydo on a dosing pump all day and flake in the am and frozen in the pm and everything seems to like it and also Tim I keep my mp10s running 24/7 at full speed so I don't think it matters if you shut them down or not

I feed 1 cube of myiss everyday & i have to spot feed my Betta krill daily. I feed 6 days a week & I feed marine snow 3 times a week. When I feed just the cubes and krill I'll stop all pumps and powerheads for about 15 mins. whenever I feed the snow I leave everything off for about 30 mins then I leave the overflow closed and powerheads on for another 30 mins.

I toss in flake and frozen at the same time, right as lights come on in the morning. The fish enjoy it. I throw in food for my filter feeders at the same time too. Only thing I do is hand feed my duncan.

Thanks for all the input folks. I have sheets of seaweed I used to put on a clip, but never really had any takers, and the sheet ended up detaching after a while and getting caught on a coral or powerhead...

Maybe I'll try again.

I buy sheets of Nori from the Asian market. It is much cheaper than the same stuff you get at the LFS. All my herbivores love it.

I buy seaweed from grocery store. It's much cheaper and my tangs love it as well as both wrasse.

Update:

Woke up to a missing flasher wrasse... Not too concerned yet. However, I also found my blastomussa had a large piece missing on one side and was down to skeleton. My lobo that's directly under it, also had some whitish splotches (it's on the sandbed).

On a positive note: I got a call from the LFS stating they had a large frag of "Candy Apple" Birdsnest for me. I went and picked it up.

Pics to come tomorrow. I spent the morning before work rearranging corals to accommodate the new frag.

Sorry to hear all of that! That new frag sounds nice tho! I had contacted u a few weeks ago about my gf's 54 corner bowfront. We are getting ready to start setting it up and wanted to ask how you like the eshopps skimmer? As u know there isnt a whole lot of room so finding a skimmer is hard enough.

At this point I still have no skimmer. Though if I do I'm looking at a reef octopus or as ASM-g.

Once I get that, I will update. I'm still using just normal sump with LR for now.

Back
Top Bottom