Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-20-2011, 02:31 PM   #351
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yikes! Last night I found my HUGE hermit eating the remains of another huge hermet though I couldn't find it's shell... But it must've been a battle of the titans on top of my Monti. It was crazy.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #352
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTGF View Post
Yikes! Last night I found my HUGE hermit eating the remains of another huge hermet though I couldn't find it's shell... But it must've been a battle of the titans on top of my Monti. It was crazy.
I know, I hate it when things in my tank fight. It is very frustrating. I think my Hermits are fighting a little bit, I should really get more shells in there.

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:36 PM   #353
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have good stuff to update and bad...

The good: Hammer coral has doubled in size in a few months, and is huge. Monti has grown, no joke 1.5" all the way around in like two weeks. Ricordias are all splitting, but one.

Clowns are hosting a trumpet coral... Flasher wrasse keeps flashing everyone. P. firefish is the tank beauty. Chromis are both still hiding... Emerald crabs are kicking butt already, cleaning like champs. Everyone loves the skunk cleaner

Bad: one Chromis is looking a bit beat up on one side, but hard to tell as he's always hiding.

Ugly: the new fire / blood shrimp didn't make it. Acclimated for 2 hours 50 minutes. When I turned the tank lights on after four more hours he had a few hermits picking at the body. I netted him out, but he's a goner...
Old 11-20-2011, 09:47 PM   #354
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry for your loss! I am happy that your Frogspawn has grown well!
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:34 AM   #355
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Shame about the fire shrimp, sorry.....Maybe it just wasnt meant to be. part of the reason I havent gotten one I guess, they are soo expensive..
Old 11-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #356
Aquarium Advice Addict

I returned with a water sample to the LFS in order to get a refund for my fire shrimp. They warranted the shrimp, but let me know my alk was low - she said it was at (7)... Looking for around 8.5-10 as in a good range. I had just done a water change one day earlier (15%). She gave me a Salifert alk test and told me to test again after my next water change. If it doesn't go up, I'll most likely need to switch to Reef Crystals as I'm currently using IO.

I would much rather do that then to start dosing.

On another note, I went today and bought a nice bubble coral. It's still inflating now, but here's a pic.

It's about the size of my fist.

Also looking for ideas - it seems all the corals I buy are bottom dwellers... I'm out of room on the sandbed, and the 1st layer, but my middle to top section is rather bare.

What are some middle - top of the tank corals?

My current lights are 24" - (2) specials and (2) blue pluses - I also have good flow in the tank with (2) 750gph koralias plus return pump.

As you can see in the other picture, I have several "shelf" areas to place corals. Please send out some suggestions.

Thanks all!
Old 11-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #357
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well as for the salt I am going to go with the red sea coral pro salt I have read a lot about it and it seems to b really good and its not to pricy the 175 gallon mix is only 50 bucks from bulk reef.....

As for corals get some acros for the high spots and other sps
Old 11-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #358
Aquarium Advice Addict

You think the t5's will be able to sustain the sps's and acros?
Old 11-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #359
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think if placed high enough in the tank sps would be fine to try. I keep all mine on the top of the rocks and they do very well. How about a montipora coral? Lots of nice colors and from my experience very easy to keep, mine grow like weeds. lol
Old 11-26-2011, 07:28 PM   #360
Aquarium Advice Addict

You have sps in there now as long as u have it up high I think it will work my lfs has there's under a 4 bulb t5 light

Tags
corner, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com