Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure how that will work, I would assume that some of the pods would make it through the skimming or else they wouldnt sell the sump like it is. I just know what I have and what others have done. that is a mighty nie sump I might add, if it hadnt been soo expensive for the size I needed i would have gone with it no doubt. I assume your gonna use the refugium setup for it? I think it will be fine, maybe not optimum but I';m sure it will work out ok. :)

Alrighty... well thanks for your input. I should be ordering it within the next few weeks. I'm trying to take it somewhat slowly.

This weekend I want to get the (2) B/W clowns this weekend as long as my params check out.

Then in two more weeks I'll order the sump, and another two weeks the skimmer!

Good tip Greg, thanks!

An another note - got the new QT - just put in Tap water cause I hate to see an empty tank.

Getting a batch of RO tomorrow, fill the QT, then another batch on Friday for a pwc. Finally on Saturday, I'm heading to the LFS to buy a pair of B/W clowns and into the QT!

I'll be adding in the PVC when i do the saltwater.

More Updates and Questions...

I got my 2nd 750 evo today and I put it in the tank.

Bad news is my first 750 kicked up a ton of sand, I mean tons - it looks like its snowing constantly and my fish are hiding for the 2nd day.

I added the 2nd one and its even worse. I've added pics to show how much sand is on my rocks. My mushroom, polyps, and orange not sure what are all shrunk down too.

Finally, whatever happened it looks as though I now have fuzzy side glass. Anywhere green algae was the dirt clung to it and is making it look like tan fuzzy stuff.

Questions:

Any advice or experience with PH placement in a corner tank?
Any rule about sand kicking up and how to simmer it?
Anything else I should be thinking about?

try pointing them towards each other towards the top of the water at each other. It should disperse the flow enough.

I'll try to lower the PH's then and point up. I had them both pointed at each other and up, but the wave interference actually caused a double wave which was splashing up too high.

I think if I lower the actual head and point it up, it should work much better! Thanks!

Thanks for the compliment - I am far from being "done." I can not wait until I start seeing Blue mushrooms, and white pom pom xenia, and green whatever... lol. I want a holy crap tank.

Another update, I adjusted the PH's some more - probably more tomorrow, but the sand storm has subsided, and actually the pattern that was made in the sand looks like a wavey beach sand - super awesome!

More to come - Stay tuned.

PS - Just found out tonight, a coworker on an off-shift just broke down a reef tank he had for 18 years - he broke it down over memorial day and gave away $1000's in corals, and rock to an LFS.

Where was I????

On a positive note, he referred me to a LFS near him, called Tropicorium in Romulus, MI, that he claims is the best in the state, he has dealt with them for decades, and he is going to get me aquainted with the owner and the staff!

WHOO HOO! Love networking - he said they farm their own corals, and they are beautiful and will garauntee bigger, healthier, better looking frags than anywhere else I buy them for cheaper.

Yeah that is what I am going for on my 55 as well I have a therd going on my build also so what equipment r u useing on ur tank

Hey Rob, I did see your thread, and quite frankly, I really like your scape.

My Equipment:

54 gallon bowfront CORNER tank / Stand

AquaticLife T5 HO Light Fixture 24"
(2) 24" T5 HO 24W 420 / 460 lamps
(2) 24" T5 HO 24W 10,000K Lamp
(2) 1W Lunar LED's

Built in Overflow (Unsure of rating - 2" down pipe)

Marineland NJ1800 Return pump rated at 474 GPH (Want to go bigger here too)

15 gallon Sump with LR (Upgrading within the month to Aqueon Proflex Model 1 Sump, with Eshopps 75 Skimmer)

(2) Koralia Evo 750 Powerheads

ViaAqua 300W Heater

I think that's it for now.

Update: Just did a 10 gallon water change and filled my QT tank... Two major (in my eyes) things have happened.

1) I added my first fish to the QT
Yup not the B/W clowns - the royal gramma!
I looked at him today and noticed he was laying on the sandbed and had what looked to be white spots - I immediately removed him from the DT and into the QT - Guess what? He swam around like crazy and the white specs, was sand! LOL

2) I have lost my Flame Angel - this is day three that I haven't seen him. Not even a flash of color... I am pretty worried, but I'd just assume he's hiding because of the two 750's I added.

Hope all is well. The gramma is going to stay in the QT tonight, just in case, and hopefully all the dust settles after the pwc and my flame decided to make an appearance..

Decieded to go on a Flame hunt, which means moving around 100+ lbs of LR... no problem right... Hmmm - well I did find out two things:

1) moving around the rock makes my tank look like the sahara desert in a sandstorm

2) I think when I initially setup my tank I put all the LR on the bottom, and the baserock on top!

I am pulling each rock out and inspecting it, and there are so so so many buried treasures - tons of polyps, a few mushrooms, and even branches of what looks like birds nest, and something even bigger - found about 12 sponges, 1000 tube worms 3/8" long, and a TON of purple rock. TON!

I got down to the bottom layer, and it was so cloudy, I still couldn't find my Flame angel, or any of the other fish for that matter...

Now I wait.

Anyone know if I should shut off the PH's to let stuff settle faster?

TLTGF said:
Decieded to go on a Flame hunt, which means moving around 100+ lbs of LR... no problem right... Hmmm - well I did find out two things:

1) moving around the rock makes my tank look like the sahara desert in a sandstorm

2) I think when I initially setup my tank I put all the LR on the bottom, and the baserock on top!

I am pulling each rock out and inspecting it, and there are so so so many buried treasures - tons of polyps, a few mushrooms, and even branches of what looks like birds nest, and something even bigger - found about 12 sponges, 1000 tube worms 3/8" long, and a TON of purple rock. TON!

I got down to the bottom layer, and it was so cloudy, I still couldn't find my Flame angel, or any of the other fish for that matter...

Now I wait.

Anyone know if I should shut off the PH's to let stuff settle faster?

You could turn off you're PW's but leave your normal filtration or sump running.It should clear pretty quick or you may not have sufficient filtration.

Yup, that's what I did. It started to clear, but then I had to come to work!

We'll see about midnight what the damage is.

This could turn out to be a very sad day in my household. I just returned home to find the aquarium very clear - I immediately found (4) chromis and a sixline, but no sign of flame... I overturned the very last piece of LR and... nothing. I really have no idea where the flame could have disappeared to in a matter of two days - no body, no ammo, nothing. Literally, the only thing I can think of is that he jumped out of the tiny opening in the back of the tank, and my cat ate him...

I went in to check on the gramma - can not find him anywhere. He is on 24 hold if you remember, but I also used the empty QT to put huge pieces of LR while looking for the flame. I looked all over this 10 gallon and couldn't find him either!

However, he is behind a closed door with tile flooring, so if he jumped, he went right for the toilet, open the lid and swam down, cause he is hiding pretty darn well.

As for me, I'm going to use my day off tomorrow to completely rescape my tank, since all the rock is out of place. - I am planning to drain down my DT and put the water into a large cooler where I can "Wash" off the rock before replacing it in the tank.

Hopefully by removing all the rock completely, I will find my fishies.

After that, I am hopefully going to get another tank I found on CL. It's a 24 gallon nano - cube style that has a stand included, 30lbs LR, 2" sand bed, and supplies for $50. Needs a ballast so it might just become an acclimation tank. Not sure yet.

After that I'm heading to check out the newly recommended LFS to see about getting a frag pack or two - they have decent deals like 12 frags for $99. I need all I can get, since I've only got one coral - not much of a reef.

They also breed their own B/W clowns, so I may be coming home with a pair of those as well!

Yup, its official - I complete rescaped my entire tank - It's harder than it looks. I liked my old way better! I had it so that there were about 25 tunnels and caves that all my fish could swim through and now there is like 5... Its hard to use huge pieces like I have, but it did turn out okay. I'll post pics once the sand settles.

On a negative note, I pulled the gramma out of his 24 hour holding, and physically he looked good. I placed him back into the DT and he floated upside down to the bottom, where he laid sideways on the sandbed.

After about 8 seconds he twitched and then started flickering around and finally started to swim normally. He then went and hid, as he usually does, so I'm hoping he pulls out of his funk too.

On a positive note, the sixline, diamond goby and chromis look great. They seem relatively happy, especailly considering I just flipped their whole world upside down.

Depending on how fast the sand settles, I may not go to the LFS - I'm feeling pretty crappy about the flame and now the gramma, and I hate to think its something I'm doing, but I want to retrace my steps just to be sure.

Also my hammer coral seems to be thriving and has (2) more tiny heads poking out the side. Maybe I'll stay off the fish for a while and focus on the coral. I seem to be doing well with that.

Well, still pretty bummed out about losing my fish... I had planned to go get a pair of B/W clowns, but until I figure out whats going on, I'm not going to sacrifice a fish's life for my "experiment".

Anyway, I went and checked out Tropicorium, a new LFS I heard about, and OMG!!!!! This place was unreal - they have like (20) 600 gallon tanks FULL of corals - They have clams the side of an old computer monitor (pre-flatscreen)
and tons of fish too. They even had a Japenese Dragon Eel, which was the first time I'd ever seen one in person.

Long story short, I came away with (4) corals from that place:

Nuclear Favia
Zoa's - cane remember the name - Red with white / blue centers (looks like fire and ice)
(3) Rics mushrooms on a rock - Blue, Purple, and Red
An additional decent sized red mushroom - standard

Then I headed to the other LFS - The Fish Doctors, cause I had a $10 punch card full to use, so I got a Rhodactis (Lavender mushroom) and an Austrailian big polyp blastamussa.

I will post pics and soon as the water clears up!

Back
Top Bottom