Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-10-2011, 11:06 PM   #471
Aquarium Advice Activist

LOL, I'm adding 2 new 800ish ph's not sure witch ones yet & putting them on my JBJ wavemaker And then I'll add one of the 500's to the back corner & leave it on constant. I'm hoping that will give me everything I want. I think my next big purchase is going to be a apex controller.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:08 PM   #472
Aquarium Advice Freak

If your gonna go with the dsb I would go with oolitic. It will be better for denitrification. Your not supposed to disturb the sand bed too much with a dsb. So you can only vacum the top later. With a course substrate decaying matter will work it's way down into the bed and possibley cause more harm than good.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:13 PM   #473
Aquarium Advice Freak

So kc, do u wish u woulda gone with the 1600s? I'm thinking about getting those in feb when marine depot has them for 25% off. Kinda scared though. I only got a 40g breeder with a dsb. Might cause a sand storm.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:15 PM   #474
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm looking at the controllers too... hmmm.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:25 PM   #475
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think the 1600 will be to much, I have a koralla 1300 that I put everywhere in my tank and I think it would be ok but all my soft coral hated it & the fish loved it. I did blow my sandbed all over also now that I think about it. I'm going to call JBJ monday and discuse my tank and issue with them, maybe since my 500's are so new they will exchange them.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:32 PM   #476
Aquarium Advice Activist

my buddy has the big apex & it's pimp, BUT everything is a add-on. For me the ability to watch my tank from anywhere is the stuff dreams are made of... I just don't know if I want to pull the trigger on $500 then another bill for a modem to work with iphone. 600 bones is takin away from my bike fund & car fund. lol I have to many high $$$ hobbies!
Old 12-10-2011, 11:58 PM   #477
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just paid off the Hayabusa yesterday... Whoo hoo. I still owe $16k on my boat that is aptly named "It's Only Money", still trying to sell that one.

Other than that, my aquarium is my only year round hobby at the moment. I figure that I can fit another maybe (3) SPS's total, mushrooms, and one more acan or something, and this tank is maxed.

After that, it'll all be going to saving for another tank. Of course that is if I don't end up going overseas. If that happens, life changes.

If not, then I'll more than likely start scoping out a deal on a 125+ set-up. I'd like to keep my corner tank in addition though.

Again, I'm on the fence with spending the money on the controllers, MP's, and LED's. I think that as long as this tank is going good, I'll save that stuff for the next build.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:34 AM   #478
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea the 1600s r gonna be too much for me. Just sux to get a third the power for only $20 cheaper. But I'm getting ready to set up my sump with a quiet one 4000 (rated 1000gph, will probably get about 400 flowing thru a scwd), and I'm gonna get a tunze wavebox in a couple months. So the 1600s won't do. Wish they had something in between
Old 12-11-2011, 12:53 AM   #479
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a couple years till mine is payed for, maybe 18 more months on it. I plan on surprising the wife on Xmas with her Mustang that is finally finished! woot woot

I'd like to upgrade tanks but it's not a option until we move or build a new house. Both the wife & I are bummed about it.

I also read somewhere that the tunze WB wouldn't work correctly in corner tank? I have no true fact on this though.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:39 AM   #480
Aquarium Advice Freak

I started a thread about wavemakers the other day and that came up. Nobody had any experience with it, but the concensus was that it probably wouldn't work.

Tags
corner, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com