Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that unit you have does have the shut off. It's that plastic thing right before the waste water line. You just need something, like a float valve to shut off the clean water.

Wow! Somedays I feel like the teacher... Every day I feel like a student.

KAhner said:
I think that unit you have does have the shut off. It's that plastic thing right before the waste water line. You just need something, like a float valve to shut off the clean water.

Never mind. I was trippin. It's just a flow restricter.

The shut off valve is a box that has 4 lines to it next to the membrain they sell them at brs if you look under rodi section you can see what they look like and see if yours has one

home / products / reverse osmosis & deionization / ro/di accessories / auto shut off kit for reverse osmosis systems

This is the section it's under

To do it correctly, you need the solenoid, float valve and a 1 lb check valve. When the float valve closes, the back pressure will cause the solenoid to shut the water off. The check valve keeps the pressure from bleeding off which would open the solenoid.

How would you hook up the solenoid and check valve in to the system it is something I would like to put on my unit

If you buy the kit it should have instructions. Basically, the line from the Carbon Filer to the RO Membrane goes through one set of ports on the solenoid and the discharge line goes through the check valve first then through the other ports on the solenoid and on to the float valve. When the float valve closes, it builds up pressure which causes the solenoid to close stopping water from going to the RO Membrane (and consequently out the waste line). The check valve makes sure that the pressure doesn't bleed off. As soon as the float opens again, pressure will bleed off allowing water to flow.

Lol, Rob sent me that link too!

Question: how do you deal with TDS creep? If your RO units are plumbed in and automatic, how can you run for 3-5 minutes before saving the water?

There have been a few articles floating around stating that even in the best RO units, you can get "TDS creep" in the first water that comes out.

Tim, looks good. A lot more cleaner look than the fluorescents. How does the brightness compare in your opinion. Hard to tell without a side by side comparison. When you get a chance maybe you could do something like that. I'm glad you got it.

I'm really happy with it so far.

I'll give a more extensive write-up in a bit, but briefly, the Radion at 55-60% "appears" to be BRIGHTER than the T5's.

More to come.

Back
Top Bottom