Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am so jelouse right now I don't think I can follow your thred any more........
Hahaha congrats on the light feel me in on everything I still want a complete review of this light

It has far more PAR than the T5's so don't judge by eye. It is a very nice light, just kind of $$$. Your setup looks delux. When do you get your skimmer, you need one IMO.

Ecotech Marine Radion:

1st Impressions:
Ordered from DrsF&S – Shipping took (5) days including the weekend. Service was phenomenal, but I’ll get to that later.
Ordered the Light fixture, the “Premium” hanging kit, and an algae scrubber (useless)

Hanging kit – Very easy to use, but very tricky to install – The hardest part was getting it lined up correctly to be centered over the tank. The height adjustments are a snap.
I will have to redo one of the cables as the fixture is about 10 degrees off.
I believe that a standard tank would make the measurements much easier. The corner tank that isn’t perfectly centered in the corner, made for quite a challenge – Not to mention, my laser wasn’t working – batteries died.

Radion LED – Packaging was as good as expected, and everything looks very sleek.
The Power Supply is very big. I don’t have exact measurements, but it’s probably 4”W x 8”H x 12”L.
TIP – when installing the cord from the Light to the Power supply, ensure that it is pushed in all the way. I thought I had, and even turned the “Cord lock” and the light wasn’t working. I unlocked, unplugged, and the re-plugged into the PS and it goes in snugly. After that, no issues.

The length of the power cord to the wall is short, but to the light is very long.
I was also easily able to plug into my laptop from a chair to the light while it was hanging.
The software took .03ms to download, and there isn’t much instruction on how to work the software. After spending a few minutes playing with the demos and the light spectrums, I tried to set the fixture up. I opted to program the fixture with the “Natural” setting, which is supposed to mimic actual reef lighting in nature. I set the intensity at 60% MAX, and put 10% chance of clouds or storms.

After unplugging, the light reverted back to “Artificial” mode and its preset. I had to play around a few times to get the light to stay programmed. Most likely Operator Error, but I haven’t had time to play around too much as I had to come to work at 1:30p.
The shimmer effect is insane with these lights and puts an awesome look in the tank. The recommendation was to place the light 8” above the waterline. Doing this, the light poured over the back, and sides of my tank. I’m going to look at lowering it to 6-7” and try to contain more light within the aquarium.

The dimensions of my tank are 37”x27”x22” – I am easily covered the entire area with the light.
I will continue to update as I know more about coral growth, health of livestock / behaviors /etc.

On a separate note, I mentioned the service at DrsF&S… Well, I was shocked yesterday when I received a coupon for 10% off at LiveAquaria and DrsF&S main site. It was a thanks for being a loyal customer deal. Needless-to-say I was upset that had I waited (4) days I could’ve saved nearly $90 off my order. I went ahead and e-mailed customer service and they gave me a credit for 10% ($87) off the order to use on my next order. That is incredible service in my book, and why I will continue to be a return customer.
That said I will be placing my order for at least one of the MP10s, probably tonight.

It has far more PAR than the T5's so don't judge by eye. It is a very nice light, just kind of $$$. Your setup looks delux. When do you get your skimmer, you need one IMO.

Well, long story short, I made an offer to a fellow AA member selling a nice skimmer, along with some other stuff. However, he ran into some issues, and has been delayed.

While I was waiting, I figured I would start to upgrade. Initially, I wasn't in a hurry for the skimmer, but the more I am in tune with the tanks needs, I am in 100% agreement, that it has become essential.

I'll let you guys know what happens, and if nothing else, I'll grab one of the skimmers from BRS that I was looking at.

I looks like my sump area is 8"x 12" to work with.

2nd Day Update:

Well after watching a few youtube vids last night from ecotech, I could see where I was going wrong trying to program the LED's. Basically, I went through a backdoor and manually got it to work somehow, but it is so easy it's nuts.

Basically you just need to add the LED to a "Group". After that it works flawlessly.

I'm still running my LED's at a MAX (around noon at 60%) I'll run this way for about a week, and then move up to MAX 70%, then 80%, etc.

My corals seem happy, no one is closing up - most have actually opened more, like the frogspawn.

Fish on the other hand... I think that they are still getting used to the light, even though it seems much less intense. The clowns never hid, but the sixline, midas, firefish, and pink spot goby, all went and hid yesterday until after I left for work. The starfish also went and hit in his cave.

Today, the firefish is very skittish and is still in between rocks and coming out, the midas is continuing to play hide-and-seek in one of his caves, the sixline is staying mostly in the rocks, but the pink-spot is out and about.

This fixture is obviously priced at a premium, and I'm sure that once I get my Vortechs hooked in running in sync with feeding mode and night mode, I will like it even more, but for now, the customability of the LED's and how amazing the sunrise, daytime, sunset all work and look so incredible. It's hard to beat.

Also, on the gimmick side, I have played around with the "Storm function" and "Cloud function."

With the cloud, it's difficult to see in my tank... maybe I'm just impaitient and don't wait long enough into the demo. However, I've seen the tanks that have several Radions and the cloud demo looks very neat. I'm sure it serves no purpose, but it is cool to see.

The storm on the other hand, while again, I'm sure serves no purpose and probably scares the heck out of the fish, looks AMAZING.

I saw a few youtube vids of the storm demo and thought it looked cool, but doing it in real life is unreal.

The radion brings the light into a spectrum that the water actually turns a yellowish-gray color. Very legit looking, and soon after you get random "lightning bolts" sometimes they are fast, othertimes it is multiple flashes. Sometimes it is in the front of the tank, other times it's more on one side than the other. Like I said, totally useless, I'm sure, but really fantastically done. You can tell that a lot of thought went into the programming.

One other thing to note. When I came home from work last night, the lights had been off for a couple hours and the fan for the LED's was still on. It's a relatively quite hum, but it is noticable. I assumed if the lights were out, it wouldn't be on. I'm not sure if it stays on 24/7 or whether the fixture was still warm from running throughout the day.

More updates to come as I see 'em.

I'm still working on all around placement. After looking this morning, I decided that I need the light to come forward towards the front of the tank about 2". I also need to rotate the one side a bit, but no biggie.

I think that once I move the light forward, I may not need to lower the light as much. I played this morning with adjusting the heights and the difference between 6" and 8" is a lot.

My estimated guess is that I'll be keeping the light at 7" but moving it more "centered" (front to back) toward the front of the tank.

Another update / change: When looking at Skimmer footprints again today, I have found that if I want to keep my existing Sump, which I do, the ONLY skimmer that I could find that "Fits the bill" is the Reef Octopus NW 110. It is in the less than $300 price range and the footprint is within my 8"x12".

Also, I will need to modify my DIY screen top. I built in a hinged front door for feeding, working in the tank, etc., and also acting as a cross brace for my T5 fixture.

This "cross brace" / hinged door, blocks a lot of light from the LED's. Its not so noticible that my corals have a black line shadow or anything, but it is noticable.

I'm most likely going to either make a new top, one that is much more clean looking and "professional" grade, or I may just modify this one.

I'm also leaning towards a new one because now the notches that allow for the PH wires won't be needed and it'll look silly.

It is for sure. I'm hoping KC will hit me up soon and let me know if he's still selling his, but if not, I'll go ahead and get one next week from BRS. The got 'em for like $171 since I'm a preferred reefer.

I prolly should've gotten into the Group buy this week, but after the Radion, salt, and (2) MP10's, I think I'll wait till the next check comes on the 24th.

Well... BRS wins... They just sent me a $5.00 coupon good for 24 hours, and anything over $175 ships free.

So I decided that a Skimmer is in my near future anyway, so I grabbed the Reef Octopus skimmer and two Felt filter bags to try out. Total after BRS points came to $175.06 ;)

Nice! I always get that coupon after I place an order. I just ordered my ro/di unit tonight too....LOL bet theres one in my mailbox too

Back
Top Bottom