Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks - also I'm thinking of trying out a Mag-rock from Aqua-mags. I think it'll help accomplish what I wanted to do with the shelves idea. I'll be able to grow some extra SPS frags on it, or use it to put on another regular sized coral or two.

Can I say, that today is the 1st time since I've got my radion that I have either been home or awake to watch the slow progression of "sunrise" or "sunset" and I am just astonished watching the light outside, that's just about an hour ahead of my tank. I can just notice how over the past few hours the lights have slowly started to dim down.

I can not wait to watch my first "tank sunset"!

On another note, I finally ordered the 12V 2a AC adapter for the DIY top-off. I'm thinking I'm still going to try it rather than let the money go to waste. RadioShack wanted $29 for their adaptor, bestbuy didn't have one, and finally I checked out amazon again and found one for $7.99 with free "prime" shipping. It'll be here tuesday or wednesday.

As I was writing my last update, I couldn't help but think about how far my build, and more importantly, myself has come since starting out.

I know a lot of people mention it from time to time, but I want to put out a huge THANK YOU to all of you on AA who have followed along and given me help, advice, compliments, and criticism along the way. You have all helped me out in a big way.

I know that I can't really repay everyone, so hopefully the long continued success of my reef will be enough to provide the appreciation I feel.

I have learned much, and continue to learn daily. Thank you.

By the way did you get the wireless mp10s????
I am asking because I messed up and got one that wasn't so now I have to but the chip for one of mine to make it wireless.

Yup, got the MP10w ES. Two of them. Should be here tomorrow or tuesday. I'll let you know how it works with the radion.

Decided to make a new screen top. This time, instead of using whiteboard, I used corrugated plastic. Two layers to sandwich the screen which is hot-glued together.

Here it is on the floor, and on the tank. Mind you I can not push the new lid down all the way into the groove because of the powerhead wires. I didn't cut notches in this top, because tomorrow I will no longer have the wires on the inside of the tank.

The tank looks great! (y)

That's a funny story... I waited and waited for the mail to come and it was running late so I drove 25 minutes to the bank. Well I waited at the bank until 11:00a only to finally realize that it was president's day and the banks are closed. I raced home to get the mail, again, only to realize that the post office is closed today!

What a crock! Anyway, the MP10's and my 12V DC plug will be here tomorrow and I'm not 100% yet on the skimmer - maybe Friday, no tracking info yet.

And now the moment we've all been waiting for... well, at least I have!

Today I recieved (1) of my (2) Ecotech Vortech MP10w ES powerheads. I ordered from DrsFosterSmith and of course, as stated before, no issues with any service, and all was great. Shipping was fast, packaging was typical and good. MP10 box was immaculate condition.

The instructions for set-up were extremely easy and gave notes to link to Youtube videos for further assistance.

Literally, plug and play, pulled it out of the box slapped it in the tank and I was off.

Things to note:

The Vortech seems to be doing well in the exact location that my Koralia was. I wasn't sure if a relocation was necessary, and it's not.

I was able to "Auto tune" the pump and within 30-45 seconds of having the pump in the water, I had a very nice wave. (Though I did not keep that setting)

All of the modes are easy to cycle through and the booklet included has graphical representations of each Mode and it is color coded to show the actions of Multiple powerheads in the tank and even locations for them.

The pump is louder than I thought while making a wave / pulse modes, but using on the Ecosmart Modes, it is very quiet even at highest setting. It is mostly the "ramping" up and down that causes a more audible sound.

At full tilt, I could, and did, shut down the other (2) 750 koralias and the difference was negligable at best. Very powerful.

The radion software doesn't "Show" the MP10w being connected. You simply check a box, and it is paired. I reset the time on the radion to mimic night mode. Mine starts night mode at 9:00p. At 9:00p the lights went out and the MP10w automatically turned itself into nightmode as well. It is supposed to run in nightmode for 10 hours before returning to normal. However, with it hooked to the radion I'm not sure if it will start back at 6:00a when I have my Radion start or if it will go until 7:00a. Either way, I'm thrilled.

The looks are fantastic and the difference of obtrusion into the tank is fantastic. I will upload pics to follow.

The driver is very nice and easy to use. I mounted it inside my stand with the supplied velcro strip. It actually came with (2) strips, but I didn't need both.

The power cord and driver cord are very long so you have huge options for mounting.

So far, that's all I can say. It has only been (2) hours!

Awesome review, thanks very much for that. :)

I am hoping to get a single mp10 for my upcoming 60g and it's a relief knowing its easy to set up.

carey said:
Awesome review, thanks very much for that. :)

I am hoping to get a single mp10 for my upcoming 60g and it's a relief knowing its easy to set up.

An MP40 would do you much better. If you had an mp10 it'd be on full blast all the time and you might even need another PH

Back
Top Bottom