Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-15-2011, 04:35 AM   #511
Aquarium Advice Addict

Put a pump in it and run the water as a closed loop to check for flow as well to c if it has good enough flow

Old 12-15-2011, 04:57 AM   #512
Aquarium Advice Regular

Good idea Rob. I'm not too worried about the flow yet. Right now it is just the sump 24x13x16 with 1 weir in so far. I'm more concerned with my welds as this is my first time attempting to construct acrylic. I'm also thinking of gluing a sheet of acrylic on the bottom and the 2 ends to give added support to the seems. I don't know if that makes sense to you. Right now I'm just looking for piece of mind. At least I will have a little more knowledge going into building my refugium. What do you think of my refuge plans. I only have room for a 12" footprint and was planning on making it 20" tall. My overflow would be tee'd off from my DT with one going to the sump and the other to the refuge. I was planning on the inlet to the refuge going to the bottom of it and having the outlet gravity feed off the top to my sump. Hopefully that makes sense. Just trying to get flow throughout the refuge. I'm just wondering if having the inlet going in 16 or so inches of water would create too much backpressure causing all the water to be directed to the sump. I guess it would have to be something I'm gonna have to play by ear. Any advice always appreciated

Old 12-15-2011, 05:22 AM   #513
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just did the calculations. My sump is 17 gallons and the refuge is 11. Was I supposed to size my equipment to include these extra gallons. I oversized everything so I should be good. Just something I never thought of. The only thing I think that the extra gallons will effect would be the heater. I dont think it would effect Skimmer size as the sump and refuge don't increase Bio load. Just curious.

As far as refuge lighting, since I have a small footprint 12x12x20tall I was thinking of going with the jbj nano led. The only thing the light is used for is to grow macro correct. Due to the narrow footprint the macro will block light from penetrating to the rock and sand base. Will this be a prob. Thanks again
Old 12-15-2011, 06:00 AM   #514
Aquarium Advice Addict

The light is also used so the macro will photosynthesis and help with Ph swings witch will hurt ur tank....
Old 12-15-2011, 07:02 AM   #515
Aquarium Advice Regular

I thought you were supposed to run the refuge lights opposite of DT light so you don't get the Ph swings. Is that correct?
Old 12-15-2011, 07:29 AM   #516
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoom27
I thought you were supposed to run the refuge lights opposite of DT light so you don't get the Ph swings. Is that correct?
Correct
Old 12-15-2011, 08:20 AM   #517
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm going to go with aragamax sugar sized or the Bahamas oolite which someone recommended. I really like the white sand look. I've heard of dust storms with these products. Has anyone used them with success? Also they sell aragalive with Bio in it, does anyone know if I can just add one of the 20# live and the rest of the dry to start my tank or am I going to cycle regardless
Old 12-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #518
Aquarium Advice Activist

That stand is rad! Love the canopy. I need to get started on my stand soon, I doubt it will look as good as yours when it's done.

Tim, I've got 1 little bitty Shroom that has started to head for Z hills. I moved a small rock to it & it has attached itself. I figure I'll try to get a couple more together then I'll send it to yeah.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #519
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Kc! Are you planning a hood for your stand as well? I'm thinking about trying to make one to clean up the look. Just something simple to match the bottom.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #520
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was thinking about building a new canopy but I think I'm just going to use what I got.

Tags
corner, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com