Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2011, 04:05 PM   #571
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTGF View Post
Looking FANTASTIC! The LED's seem very bright!

One question: In the picture it looks as though your tank is literally backed into the corner with zero room on both sides... Is this an illusion, or are you not planning to scrape the sides with the mag float / hide it in the back corner behind the rocks?

Ha, another question: did you leave the top of the tank open, or do you have any cover other than the hood?
I want to know also. I have a parcel top on mine & I can't see getting the tank closer to the wall than mine without doing some sheetrock work. Witch I have thought of doing.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:25 PM   #572
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thx TL. I have about three inches of room on the side of the tank. I'm assuming your talking about the outside of the tank correct. I bought a magnet cleaner for the tank. Its pretty strong. I do have a glass cover I bought with the tank. So far so good. I thought I cracked the bulkhead when tightening my plumbing. I heard a pop and had a small drip. Took apart added a union and silicone. No leaks for now, not looking forward to changing the bulkhead if it fails. If I solve my microbubble problem I will be very happy. I've heard it is probably just because its a new tank and it should go away.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:14 PM   #573
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is ur Skimmer new that will produce micro bubbles until it brakes in
Old 12-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #574
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I think you have a pin sized air leak near the input to a pump. Unfortunately, you might not even be able to see it. Check your PVC welds and any unions you are using to see if that isn't the problem. There are some protein skimmers that tend to put out bubbles, but your bubbles look even smaller than what a skimmer produces.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:38 PM   #575
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks I appreciate the tips. The bubbles definitely do look like they are coming from the Skimmer. They are so small that they are going through the bubble trap and back to the DT. Since I have 40 lbs of aragalive and 55 LBS of rock how long before I can add any fish. No damsels for me I don't want to try to remove them later. I heard they are aggressive
Old 12-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #576
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoom27
Thanks I appreciate the tips. The bubbles definitely do look like they are coming from the Skimmer. They are so small that they are going through the bubble trap and back to the DT. Since I have 40 lbs of aragalive and 55 LBS of rock how long before I can add any fish. No damsels for me I don't want to try to remove them later. I heard they are aggressive
Did you try a filter sock over the outflow pipe from the skimmer? Have to be careful the sock never clogs up as it would overflow the skimmer, but it might kill the bubbles.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:56 PM   #577
Aquarium Advice Addict

katoom, you'll have to go through the cycle. Here is a good article.

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
Old 12-20-2011, 09:07 PM   #578
Aquarium Advice Addict

Since we're on skimmers, I have a question. Currently in my sump I have it split in two chambers. The first chamber is the longest and holds about 25-30lbs of live rock rubble and my heater. The 2nd has a little rubble and my return pump.

I currently have no skimmer or any mechanical filtration. Would I be in a better position to put the rock in the DT and remove all rock from sump, and add a skimmer to the sump instead?

The only real issue I have is not understanding the needs of the skimmer. I don't have a bubble trap as the only divider is full of holes and only goes about half-way down.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:22 PM   #579
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes you should have a Skimmer it will remove all the junk that is in ur water to help your sps have a better life.... as for the rock if you can put as much of it in ur dt. But try to keep some in ur sump as well but have enough room for a Skimmer and I am a asm g series Skimmer fan they work great and won't brake the bank....
Old 12-20-2011, 09:38 PM   #580
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

A skimmer will relieve the load on the biological filtration in your tank by directly lifting many of the long protein chain molecules from the water and dispose of them. This is organic waste at the beginning of a breakdown cycle, so it is nice to eliminate it.

Tags
corner, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com