Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Good luck! have fun!

Old 08-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

So... as I was tossing out my cracked 10 gallon a thought came over me... Would it be possible to use an aquarium I used to house a ball python?

I have a 15 gallon tall 20" x 18" x 10", and was curious if I clean out the wood chips and remove the decorations (obviously) would I be able to use this as a QT tank?

I just wasn't sure if there is too much reptile ick in the tank that can't be removed. By that I mean the tank is very very clean, just don't know if there are crazy diseases or viruses or bacteria that roams in a reptile tank that would be detrimental to a fish.

What are your thoughts?

Old 08-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

You can buy some stuff at the LFS that sterilizes tanks and is easy to wash out. A tank is a tank, if it holds water. I don't think a fish can catch a reptile disease, but I may be wrong.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTGF
So... as I was tossing out my cracked 10 gallon a thought came over me... Would it be possible to use an aquarium I used to house a ball python?

I have a 15 gallon tall 20" x 18" x 10", and was curious if I clean out the wood chips and remove the decorations (obviously) would I be able to use this as a QT tank?

I just wasn't sure if there is too much reptile ick in the tank that can't be removed. By that I mean the tank is very very clean, just don't know if there are crazy diseases or viruses or bacteria that roams in a reptile tank that would be detrimental to a fish.

What are your thoughts?
How thick is the glass looks more like a terrarium then an aquarium
Old 08-22-2011, 12:26 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well you answered my question for me... My tank is 3/16" thick... LOL - Looks like I'm putting that on CL and going for another 10 gallon anyway!
Old 08-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

So... I have been waiting, extremely paitiently, for my PH to arrive today. I've been drooling over the tracking for (10) days, thanks Amazon. At any rate, right on time, USPS delivered my 1st PH a Koralia evo 750!

So I went right to it, and here is the results:
  • A sandstorm
  • All my fish went to hide
  • my Hammer coral is 50% happy
  • It looks way bigger in the tank than it actually is
BUT, I love the flow, and the fish are coming out too. The sand is mainly kicked up from the diamond spreading it on the rocks so it needed to be blown off anyway, and it doesn't look bad. I am geeked. I get the 2nd one delivered this Friday! YAY!

An another note - currently I am using a Marineland pump rated at 474 gph, and my overflow is a built-in with a 2" pipe coming off. It looks like the water just "trickles" out... Should I buy a bigger pump to get more circulation / filtration?

My tank, even before the PH looks like a snow-globe. I'm still working on the new sump which should add more filtration as well as a skimmer, but until then, any ideas. BTW my return pump doesn't have a filter, so the pods can sneak through.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:48 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

What is the gph of the overflow? You should have your return pump rated a bit higher than your overflow to account for head loss and you can always throttle back the return pump with a ball valve for like $7. My return pump is rated at 1532gph and my overflow can handle 1200gph and it seems to be working well for me
Old 08-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thats the problem, I'm not sure... I bought the set-up used. I gotta think that my overflow can handle much more with a 2" line! I think what I'll do is buy a bigger pump with a ball valve and just dial it in.

On another CRAZY note -

The installation of the PH arose a different issue. I looked at my thermometer and it was at 76 degrees! The PH took my 80 degree consistant temp and dropped it 4 degrees somehow - I NEVER have a temp swing. So on that note I double checked my heater and found that when I placed it in my sump I must've bumped the dial from 79 to 75!

Needless to say I cracked it back up and it immediately kicked on. Hopefully I caught it in time!
Old 08-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The temp should be fine, it was only a few degrees and it is within an ok range.

Don't you hate when you do something silly ? LOL I do it ALL the time and then kick myself for it. hehe
Old 08-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wasn't too impressed with myself, but I'll never do it again! Lol. Fish are loving the flow, hammer is back out. Only ones still hiding are the gramma and the goby.

Also Carey, did you see the post of the sump I was planning? It has the skimmer in the return pump section. How do I handle this in terms of pods? - I got about a thousand in my sump now.

Tags
corner, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com