Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love those powerheads u have in ur tank. I was thinking of getting two because I hear they are worth the money. Also the motor stays out of the water correct. I have to many submerged pumps and I finally got my temp to stay steady. At 83 to 84 degrees that is but steady. I also like the fact u can control the motors frequency via controler to range from little up to around 4000 gph.

I love those powerheads u have in ur tank. I was thinking of getting two because I hear they are worth the money. Also the motor stays out of the water correct. I have to many submerged pumps and I finally got my temp to stay steady. At 83 to 84 degrees that is but steady. I also like the fact u can control the motors frequency via controler to range from little up to around 4000 gph.

They are very nice indeed, but worth the money... depends on what you mean. If flow was your only concern, id say, stick with koralias. They are fantastic and well priced. However, I like a high tech, bells and whistles tank, with a mknimalist feel.

The MP10's aren't near 4000 gph. One at MAX is 1500. The way mine are set, the most flow in my tank at one time is around 1800-2000 gph. Anymore than that and things were unhappy.

They were worth it to me, but I cant say the same for everyone. Oh and to answer your question, yes, the drive motor is outside the tank.

Lost my first MrCoral coral... It was on of the valadia-style ones. It was one of the fresh cut freebies, and it never had any polyp extension and now it's totally white. Ah well.

All of the other corals seem to be doing well - all showing nice polyp extension. One bad thing, I had to cut back the photo-period as I was starting to get a hair algae breakout on a few of the frag plugs. It was especially affecting the LPS coral plugs.

TLTGF said:
All of the other corals seem to be doing well - all showing nice polyp extension. One bad thing, I had to cut back the photo-period as I was starting to get a hair algae breakout on a few of the frag plugs. It was especially affecting the LPS coral plugs.

I got my first brain coral last night. Any advice about them you can give?

Pretty hardy coral - I'd keep it from the sand bed to about halfway up the tank. Just remember also, they have 3-5" sweeper tentacles that will sting corals that are too close.

I have a brain in my tank, wish it was in my head. It was one of my first corals and one of 2 that survived my starting mismanagement. Def a great coral, it was the one coral I had to have when I started.

Georgia said:
I got my first brain coral last night. Any advice about them you can give?

Which brain are you referring to, now that I think about it? Favaties, lobo, open?

TLTGF said:

That's great! I've been on his site a few times but he can be a little pricy. I've debated ordering because of the bad reviews and the pricing. But you gave me hope. Lol

I figure 21 frags for $150 isn't bad. Only lost one tiny one. The hair is out of control now. I spent all morning trying to pull it off the frags, siphon and remove but it's terrible. I add no food, have lots of live rock, and a 4-hour photo period... Hmmm.

I had same algae problem on an acan lord. I thinly it was actually byropsis bit between pulling it and the coral fighting the lord over grew it. They have remarkable algae fighting ability.

Updates and news:

54 gallon tank -> going strong, no issues, no deaths, all is great and growing.

10 gallon frag tank -> only had one frag not make it, and it was a freebie one. All the others are doing great, encrusing and great PE. There is hair algae growing on the frag plugs. I tried to scrape it off with a razor and pull it off, but it only made it 10x worse. I think I need to add a crab or two to help the fight.

Going tomorrow to buy a 29 gallon biocube. Found on CL - talked down to $100. Great shape, but needs one bulb replaced. This is going to be a low-light reef / angler tank! (y)

Off topic:

Found out about (3) hours ago that my identity was stolen, so I've got to try to straighten that out tomorrow. I got a call from my bank today, "Did you go golfing today?" Yes. "Are you in Florida?" Absolutely not. "Okay, well you have nearly $1000 charged on multiple charges from Walmart in Florida from earlier today. Your card is now disabled and your account balance just went negative." :facepalm:

Japan - found out that minimum it is pushed back until the end of summer, and at a max, the program is no longer available and I'll end up in Mexico instead... :huh:

We shall see. I will keep everyone posted on any new happenenings as they occur.

TLTGF said:
Updates and news:

54 gallon tank -> going strong, no issues, no deaths, all is great and growing.

10 gallon frag tank -> only had one frag not make it, and it was a freebie one. All the others are doing great, encrusing and great PE. There is hair algae growing on the frag plugs. I tried to scrape it off with a razor and pull it off, but it only made it 10x worse. I think I need to add a crab or two to help the fight.

Going tomorrow to buy a 29 gallon biocube. Found on CL - talked down to $100. Great shape, but needs one bulb replaced. This is going to be a low-light reef / angler tank! (y)

Off topic:

Found out about (3) hours ago that my identity was stolen, so I've got to try to straighten that out tomorrow. I got a call from my bank today, "Did you go golfing today?" Yes. "Are you in Florida?" Absolutely not. "Okay, well you have nearly $1000 charged on multiple charges from Walmart in Florida from earlier today. Your card is now disabled and your account balance just went negative." :facepalm:

Japan - found out that minimum it is pushed back until the end of summer, and at a max, the program is no longer available and I'll end up in Mexico instead... :huh:

We shall see. I will keep everyone posted on any new happenenings as they occur.

Wow that sucks! Hope you get your money back plus more for the stress and problems this caused you.

Back
Top Bottom