Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sux to here that but it will all work out......
But I am glad to here all the corals are doing good still waiting to get some shipped my way lol

I wanted to wait a few weeks to make sure that the corals got a nice encrusted heal before I shipped 'em out. Plus, with the size of most of them, it was / is hard to determine what they even are!

However, I do promise that I will be hooking you up with some very soon!

Honestly, I'm pretty sure that I got lucky with this Identity theft thing because it seems that they caught it rather quickly. Apparently it all happened within one day. So, I do hope the money is reimbursed, but I think I got it minor compared to the chaos some people end up with.

My only real concern is: How in the world did they get my info?!

I shop online all the time, but I'm dilligent in using Paypal or trusted sites, so I'm lost. I went back through 6 months of transactions and I can't find anything suspicious, so who knows!

Well idk but I had it happen to me or what I though was.... But it was the person had the same name as me and he went in to the same bank I use and took out all my money but it was the banks falt that it happend for not checking all the info.... So that could be what happend with you and the bank might just replace the money right away

My husband has his card copied at a gas station once. We never go there anymore. Basically the person swiped a Blank card in the machine and the next card swiped is copied back into the blank card and the person has access to it. It happened to us on a day when we were doing birthday shopping for my daughter. Her birthday was ruined :(. They racked up 3000$ in the end in gas stations all the way to NY in a 36 hour period. We got all the money back after about 4 weeks- but the process was horrible and our account was frozen for 7 days after the incident. My bank didn't even notice it. I did when I went to cash out and my card was declined. Like I said though- everything was right in the end.

Here's the skinny:

Bought the biocube today -> updates will be in that thread.

Gotta do PWC's on the frag tank and the 54.

I'll upload pics in a following post of the frag tank. They are funny, I think.

Identity stuff. The bank caught it very quickly, so that was good, and because it was through VISA, it is being handled well. Basically, I had to order a new debit card, and I won't have a bank account balance for 24-48 hours, but then all is paid back and any fees I incur will be reversed!

All in all, not that painful, just a bit nerve racking.

Wow...that's a lot of algae growth! This is the type of thing my algae turf scrubber can help cure. You need a algae eater in your frag tank...

For sure! For now I'm not planning on keeping it up for more than a couple more weeks.

Here's after the barber :)

Lol. Are they getting their haircuts in the tank? Why not try trimming it in an exterior bucket then shaking them off really well so no "wild hairs" are free to roam in the tank

I agree with the ATS thread. I did remove all frags and remove algae in a separate container and then threw it all down the garbage disposal.

There is so much I couldnt get, but I did do a 5 gallon (50%) pwc too.

That growth is crazy and on a 4 hour light schedule!

Yes please make a turf scrubber thread . I will be making one for my tank. And Tim if you don't mind me asking on your thread what is the purpose of a frag tank? Is it like a qt for corals ?

Of course I don't mind you asking anything!

A frag tank is more for propegation than anything. Basically, it is used for growing out frags into bigger corals, either to sell or add to your main tank.

However, I'm sure that some people use them for a "QT" also to watch for nasties like nudibrachs, flatworms, etc.

My personal frag tank, was just to grow out the tiny corals that I bought. I have no room in my tank really, so I only want to keep like (4) out of the (21) I got, so I am going to try to grow the other ones, and make sure they are quite healthy and have nice growth, and then sell some, gift some, and take some to the LFS for credit.

I didn't think about the resale value . I don't have corals yet but i always see the prices at the Lfs. I have read some about dipping so I didn't see why you would have to qt unless the corals came from a tank with fish . Makes more sense now. How much profit do you think you will get from those little ones in your frag tank?

Tim, hope you dont mind if i ask you a quick question.
I just bought a nice little zoa colony the other day and im letting them grow out in my 20 gallon. They dont seem to be happy where they're at. Wheres the best place to put them or make them happier?

Hondatek said:
I didn't think about the resale value . I don't have corals yet but i always see the prices at the Lfs. I have read some about dipping so I didn't see why you would have to qt unless the corals came from a tank with fish . Makes more sense now. How much profit do you think you will get from those little ones in your frag tank?

I do dip my corals now as well.

Honestly, as far as money is concerned, it's all about what people are willing to pay. The lot I bought was 21 corals for $150. One died so basically I paid $7.50 per frag.

I think that given enough time to grow (SPS are slow growing typically), I could sell a most of them for $20 each within a short time (couple months)

I wasn't in it for the money, it was all impulse. Some I'm giving away, and the LFS will probably give me a few dollars more than I paid for a couple.

If I was planning to sell them continually, I would try to do a much better setup than a 10 gallon with a cheap heater, PH, and some live rock. I'd be doing heavy filtration and more feeding for growth.

Also, if I decided to keep some corals for 6 months or so, I may be able to make $25-30 per coral in profit depending on color, type, etc.

I've never raised corals before so people who do probably have a much better idea on this stuff.

Tim, hope you dont mind if i ask you a quick question.
I just bought a nice little zoa colony the other day and im letting them grow out in my 20 gallon. They dont seem to be happy where they're at. Wheres the best place to put them or make them happier?

I don't mind the question, but I'm not a zoa guy. I literally bought my 1st ones a few weeks ago. I had them mid tank at first, but the crabs couldn't stop knocking them off, so now they are on the sandbed.

Both places my zoas were and are fully opened, looking very happy. The mid-tank was moderate -> high flow, and the sandbed is moderate flow. Both under the Radion LED lights.

Back
Top Bottom