Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #781
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just put an order in for a roll of 1/4" mesh screen to make a top. Got it from BRS - and while I was there I bought a Hanna Calcium checker. 1st Hanna, so we'll see how it goes. With all the corals I have I figured I'm already late to be testing for Calcium.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #782
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTGF View Post
Just put an order in for a roll of 1/4" mesh screen to make a top. Got it from BRS - and while I was there I bought a Hanna Calcium checker. 1st Hanna, so we'll see how it goes. With all the corals I have I figured I'm already late to be testing for Calcium.
How are you making the top? I've been wanting to do the same thing with my 72 bow but can't figure out how to make a curved frame for the mesh.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #783
Aquarium Advice Addict

I haven't actually figured that out yet... I just figured I'd get the screen first. My plan is to have a Kite shaped cross brace made of Plexy that runs from back corner to front, and have another cross brace going straight across the top from those two corners. Then I'm probably just going to make a cardboard template of the shape of my tank and cut it from 1/2" plexy or whiteboard from work. A 1" strip that will go along the top of the tank with the mesh glued, screwed, or otherwise fastened to it.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #784
Aquarium Advice Addict

Like this sorta ...
Old 01-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #785
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just a warning on the hanna calcium checker....you will need distilled water to use it first off, thats something they dont tell you upfront. Second, good luck LOL. I had a heck of a hard time using mine and ended up returning it as it was horribly inaccurate and the testing procedure is a bear to do. The salifert is the way to go in my opinion.

As a side note, i use the hanna checkers for alkalinity and phosphates and they are dead on accurate. It's just the calcium one thats off. i even spoke to people at hanna and they said the distilled water can help but not always. According to them even 1ppm of calcium in the distilled/ro di water you use can cause a false reading of 50ppm or more with the meter.

let me know how it works out for you, really curious, maybe it was just my unit.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #786
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the heads up. I remember you mentioning something, and somebody saying that they were having those issues, but I though someone said they had fixed it...

Ah well... Fleeting memory. I will try it and keep posted. That's my first Hanna. I've got Salifert alk test, API for the regulars, and I haven't yet started phosphates, mag, calcium, iodine, or strontium. My next Hanna will probably be mag or phosphates.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #787
Aquarium Advice Freak

I plan on getting the Hanna phosphate and nitrate, when it comes out. Those ones r just so hard to read on a color chart. Plus when I get some biopellets going im gonna try and get them well below zero but still present, so a digital read out is a must for that. What is the lowest that the phosphate checker reads?
Old 01-27-2012, 01:04 PM   #788
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Mine goes down to 0.01. According to hanna they are either going to be releasing the nitrate checker OR the magnesium one this year. It seemed they were leaning towards magnesium. The phosphate checker is easy and the alaklinity one is fast and even easier.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #789
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was afraid they would do magnesium first. I just want phosphate and nitrate cause I seen this video of this guy talking about biopellets, and peoples systems crashing after a few months from stripping it completely of phosphates and nitrates. Kinda makes sense that corals would need a little bit of them to stay alive.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #790
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm planning on adding a biopellet reactor to my setup hopefully very soon. Kinda hoping i won't have any problems with it as I'd like to get my phosphates down and keep them down.

Tags
corner, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com