Tim's 54 Gallon Corner -> Going Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alrighty... Just got back from the LFS, and y'all know what that means!!!

I only got a couple things because I'm waiting for group buy, but...

I got a heck of a deal on some xenia - (4) stalks for $15, and I got me a... Cleaner shrimp for $18. Not too bad - he's acclimating now - Pics to come shortly.

Here's the pics as promised:

@ Rob - My LFS is very nice, and the more you go there the better the discounts they give. Plus the girl is super cute! :brows:

Like I really need it to be any easier! Yup nothing better than a hottie that knows about SW.(y)

So back from Meijer and Pet Supplies +, got (11) gallons of RO and three small rats for the python.

At least I didn't have to buy anything for the cat...

RO is now Saltwater and is being mixed / heated as we speak for a nice pwc tomorrow and some new rock scaping. Plus I wanna relook at where all my corals are ACTUALLY supposed to be, opposed to where I like them.

Well, I have finally decided that I am not happy with my corner style tank. The reason: Only one side is available for viewing and the majority of the time all of my fish, crabs, and shrimp are on the backside of the rockwork. Hmmm...

I'm pretty bummed about the cleaner shrimp, I am almost positive he setup shop directly in the back of the rocks. I can look through a cave and see his antenna poking out, and thats it.

Whoo hoo! Best $18 antennas I've ever bought!

I bought a pistol shrimp that I havent seen since the day I put him in the tank. It's been four months now and no sign of him. Well, other than that darn clicking noise.

Yeah, and apparently has a taste for cleaner shrimp and peppermints. Lost 5 cleaners and 3 peppermints since putting him in there. I suspect it's him anyway.....lol

Yeah I remember reading about that... What a bummer deal.

I'm still trying to decide on my updated stock list. Since I've decided to go reef rather than FOWLR, I am very apprehensive about putting in another Flame Angel. I loved the look of the 1st one, but its almost a blessing he is gone. I would hate to see all my corals get nipped to death.

Same with the royal gramma - loved his coloring, but didn't realize how inactive they were.

So now, I'm trying to find a great "centerpiece" fish, and another colorful active swimmer.

I'm getting weary about my "pile of rocks" that I have invested so much time in. I love the corals, no doubt, but other than the sixline and the goby, its a ghost town. :)

I feel like I've been building a mansion, and having the finest decoraters come in to decorate only for the house to be foreclosed, and now I have squatters living there!

HAHAHA

I have like a half dozen fish in my 125 and rarely see any of them. The yellow tang is usually the only one. The blenny and goby are nowhere to be found usually, the clowns hang out in the BACK right TOP corner only and the blue tang runs away when I get near the tank. I really need some swimming fish in there. hehe the cleaners were cool cause they hung out in the front.

Be careful what you wish for. My banded coral shrimp has become huge and is now the leading suspect in a series of serial murders of fire fish. I use to not be able to keep them, now it is their revenge with the Terminator of all shrimp. Catching him is a pipe dream, he is far too crafty. I just need bigger fish. :)

Greg - I read about that in your posts as well... Seems we have quite the mystery of Invert murders on our hands. Don't think it'd make it as a TV show, but seeing all that they have on now, one of you guys may want to pitch it! LOL

My fish deaths are still unexplained, (and thankfully have stopped) but I can just about 100% bet that my hermits are not the culprit...

I think the hardest part is going to Youtube for inspiration. There are countess videos of 54 gallon corner tank reefs, 55 gallon, 58 gallon, 70 and 75 gallon reefs, and guess what the "Centerpiece" is in every single video I watched...

...Yup a freaking Blue Tang!!!

Sooo... got up this morning and did a pwc, (9) gallons to be exact. Siphoned like crazy, removed and cleaned the PH's, rearranged the rock scape, again, let the new cleaner shrimp clean my hand for a minute, cleaned the sump, moved the corals, and now I'm heading to lunch.

Pics when it settles.

My lawnmower blenny usually sits on the rock and smiles but when I walk up to the tank he swims up and says hi, nips a bit on the algae and glass and is generally active! Yes he's gray and might look boring but even my cichlids aren't that active and entertaining.

Greg, I envy that it takes you (40) gallons, I would love to need that much! :)

Aus, that's awesome, I do like the look of those as well. Carey has a chubby one too :)

Back
Top Bottom