Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2012, 12:07 AM   #851
Aquarium Advice Addict

So... apparently I just needed to google it... I found (2) that have similar looks to what I was wanting. Jeez... Google.... Who would've thought?

Nano-Reef.com Forums > 54 gal corner

Redirect Notice

Old 02-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #852
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got my DIY ATO from BRS today along with the Tunze pump. I will give a more in depth analysis and my results a bit later.

Long story short... WOW! I almost burnt down my apartment!

Old 02-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #853
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is the basic rundown of what I did this morning:
Package arrived UPS in great shape. There were two separate components, the Tunze pump, and then the DIY ATO kit.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/pumps-and-plumbing/dosing-pumps-and-auto-top-off-systems/tunze-osmolator-replacement-metering-pump-5000-02.html

Top-it-Off Kit Premium includes:
1. (2) aquahub i-float float switches
2. 1 12V relay
3. 1 Relay Socket
4. 1 Package of Crimp Caps
5. 1 Mold-a-Holder (9 inch)
6. 1 do-it-yourself Slosh & Snail Guard
7. 1 Large Project Box
8. 1 12V wall transformer
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/pumps-and-plumbing/dosing-pumps-and-auto-top-off-systems/top-it-off-kit-premium.html

Tools needed:
Philips screwdriver - Medium
Philips screwdriver – small (just bigger than eyeglass drivers)
Drill
Drill bits (I used 1/8”, 1/4”, and reamer bit on the tip of hole-saw because I didn’t have bigger than ” bit at my apt.)
Razor blade – with handle
Wire strippers w/ crimper
Pliers – If you don’t have a crimper

Basically as you follow the instructions you do the following:

1. Take the long piece of white plastic (Mold-a-holder) and drill two holes in it per the directions.
a. TIP – It says use a 1/4” drill bit, however the threads for the floats are wider than that so a bigger size is necessary.

2. Cut a slit 3” up the plastic and then put them in very hot water until it turns clear and then you can basically mold it into any shape you want.
a. It is very flimsy at this point so I had to use a cookie sheet to keep it straight while bending the ends for the switches

3. The “Snail & Slosh guard” is a small jar that you need to drill holes in.
a. Again 1/4” is not big enough for the main hole for the switch.

4. Assembly of the switches onto the mount is easy – just screw it on

5. Wiring isn’t bad at all (At first)
a. Simple wire strippers and a Philips screwdriver is all I needed

6. Follow the wiring instructions to wire together the float switches, relay socket, and 12V wall transformer
a. The transformer comes with a RCA end and thumb switch that you will need to cut off

7. You will need to purchase an extension cord (GFCI if not going into a GFCI outlet)
a. This cord will only work if you are running a 120V pump
b. IMPORTANT – Tunze pump is 12V DC, if you try to run it with a 120V cord you will burn your house down! (That’s what I did before I realized and read the label after I blew the GFCI and the breaker to my bathroom)

8. Once the initial wiring is complete with the 12V included transformer you can test the relay

9. Then add your second 12V transformer or extension cord (purchased separately)
a. You will run this cord in-line with the relay socket

10. There are also tube adaptors that can be added to the float switches to cover the wiring with hose. The hose must be purchased separately as well.

Since I didn’t have an extra 12V transformer on hand, I will order one tonight and hopefully complete the project this week.
All-in-all I’ve got a couple hours into the project so far. I’d give it about (6 out of 10) on the difficulty scale.
(I have a decent amount of electrical knowledge and a degree in Automotive technology, so I am mechanically inclined.)
If anyone has any other questions, I will be happy to answer them.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #854
Aquarium Advice Addict

So don't get this system it is better to just get the jbj or other brand instead
Old 02-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #855
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

What does this thing do? Is is a water topper? I am confused.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #856
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, it is a DIY ATO.

Basically Tunze has it's "Osmolator" unit which sells for $202 on BRS. You can buy the same pump and the DIY float switch kit for $76 and do basically the same thing without the electronic programmer.

TUNZE Osmolator Universal 3155 - English

That being said - You can purchase the JBJ ATO controller and the Tunze pump for $102 and with the AL pump for $97.

So basically for $20-$25 more than I spent for the DIY (before buying the 2nd 12V transformer or the extension cord, so more like $10-$15) , you can get an electronically controlled ATO and a good pump that hooks up in less than (5) minutes and looks clean and nice.

Or you can spend an hour or two putting together a DIY kit, trying to make it look decent and have no electronic controller.

My vote in now wholeheartedly to go with a JBJ controller and an aqualifter pump, as the Tunze has to be hardlined in.

I will certainly find some use out of the stuff I bought, but not as an ATO for my aquarium.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #857
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Old 02-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #858
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good video I might just do it that way instead of how I was thinking of like tim
Old 02-08-2012, 09:52 PM   #859
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mine has been running strong for 8 months
Old 02-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #860
Aquarium Advice Addict

What power head size do u run

Tags
corner, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com