Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tips and hints for your Corals..

I figured I would start a thread on some good ideas on corals.. sometimes our handy dandy note books doesnt much to offer in terms of special tricks to get the best out of our corals... two really good ideas I have found out on two picky corals of mine were:

Birds nest. There's a good symbolic relationship between porcelain crabs and spa corals ( in this case the crab has protection and the coral stays clean).. I just purchased mine however my friends whom have birds nests as well swear by it.. I've witnessed one start out about the size of a tennis ball and has bow become slightly larger then a softball.. I've read similar experinces on the net..

Chili coral. After lurching mine I couldn't seem to get it to have its polyps come out nor even get it to stand up... only thing on various website said feed plankton non photosynic keep in indirect light moderate flow... in researching further after purchase I found these guys like to be placed upside down! I did just that and I've seen a 180 degree differnce already.

Any other tip or tricks you guys use that are not easily available when reading information on various websites?

Old 08-31-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am going to follow along with this one. I have two small frag but as soon as I finish stocking fish I am moving on to the corals. Could use all the ideas I can get.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

"Ive seen a 180 degree difference already"
Pun!
Old 10-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Def following this. Were starting to get into corals and anything we can learn will be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

One thing to be careful of is water flow.Example,I have seen some aquarium pictures where a Hammer had so much water flow that it's tentacles were stretched way out and you could see it's skeleton.It is supposed to have medium flow and the tentacles should sway and you should't see it's base at all.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpon
"Ive seen a 180 degree difference already"
Pun!
Lol didn't catch that. Everything is doing really great.. I had a n issue a month or so ago with alot of my corals closing up.. ended up loosing my plate coral..everything has as come back full force..
Old 10-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Great idea. I have found out quite an bit about which leather corals will mix. For example Antelllia (waving hand) mixes well with mushrooms and other corals, but seems to be toxic to colt corals (and I suspect it is also harmful to Kenya tree corals). Mushrooms burn almost all SPS corals I have tested.

But the most important thing I think I have found is how important a varied flow pattern is. Flow from one constant direction is tolerated by some corals but not others.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

All mushrooms, even ricordeas, will not stick to Coral/Super Glue. From experience...
Old 10-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh, and certain Zoanthids grow faster than others. IME the more green zoas grow much faster than any other zoas, and there were like 5 different colors on the same rock.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenturtle
Oh, and certain Zoanthids grow faster than others. IME the more green zoas grow much faster than any other zoas, and there were like 5 different colors on the same rock.
The different colored zoas are different colors because they reflect back light at those frequencies. Is green the most efficient color? Why do they express different pigments?

Tags
coral, corals, tips

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com