Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-07-2010, 05:03 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello all,
I was wondering how one knows if their acropora is happy? I have had two now for nearly a month, and my LFS is having 20% corals! Already picked up a blastomussa for $16 and a 17 polyp colony of large orange zoanthids for $12. Im dying to get some more acroporas while their sale is going on. (Ends saturday).

I dont want to get more if my current ones are sad. I have no idea how to judge whether or not an acropora is doing well. Would a month be enough time to know if my tank conditions suck for them?

Neither have grown one bit. The green one has its polyps out all day and night. The other, some sort of purple one that turned brown, never has its polyps out but a bit during the night. Its now turning a light purple blue rather than the solid brownish purple.

So, should I run back and get some more? Or should I wait longer to make sure I make no big mistake?

Old 05-07-2010, 05:57 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'd wait untill you have better lighting. The one that was solid purple may be starting to bleach or loose its colour due to low light conditions.
IMO, save your money and buy better lighting then you'll be able to get any SPS you like.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:19 AM   #33
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

I think you have enough light to squeeze by and as I mentioned before it would probably be even better to swap out your 2-actinics. If I were you I would take advantage of the sale and get another one. If the green one has polyp extension all day and is still green and the brown one is starting to color up again, those are good signs. Also, the 2-you have do not have any white tips/base or tissue necrosis that is another good sign. My vote is buy 1, just don't go nuts.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:24 AM   #34
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Tell this guy he needs better lighting than T5 Reefkeeping Magazine - Tank of the Month
mrg-he lists which bulbs he has, as you can see.....no actinics.
Or tell this guy he needs better lighting Tank of the Month - July 2008 - Reefkeeping.com
They both have top of the line T5 set-ups, but they are T5s.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:08 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

Im not saying his SPS will bleach out and die did i?
Didnt say it wouldnt be enough?

All i said was, Better lighting will give you better corals in the long run and brighter colours.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #36
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

And I disagree, I have seen T5 tanks with bright colors and good growth.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:10 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Turns out, I have two 460nm blue bulbs that I will swap the actinics out for.

I think I will go back today and get some more!
Is it possible for too much light? My acros are just 8in from the bulbs (5in from water surface) and there is a 12000k bulb directly above them. Could be a lot of light?

Matt
Old 05-07-2010, 07:56 PM   #38
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

If it was too much light they would bleach out white/light. I don't think that is your issue here.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just got back from the LFS with a nice 2.5in blue tort acropora frag for $16.00. Got another SPS, but I forgot what the guy called it. Looks like green apple stylophora. It was his favorite, and came off his personal mother colony. Really pretty! I will have to get some pics while they are down on the bottom, close to the side. Also got some more zoanthids. (Zoanthids are always a great deal there).

So Im guessing these guys will need to stay near the bottom for a week, right? They were under metal halides, but the guy said that the metal halides are so far from the water that T5s will cook them if placed at the top right away.

Matt
Old 05-07-2010, 09:48 PM   #40
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg02d View Post
Just got back from the LFS with a nice 2.5in blue tort acropora frag for $16.00. Got another SPS, but I forgot what the guy called it. Looks like green apple stylophora. It was his favorite, and came off his personal mother colony. Really pretty! I will have to get some pics while they are down on the bottom, close to the side. Also got some more zoanthids. (Zoanthids are always a great deal there).

So Im guessing these guys will need to stay near the bottom for a week, right? They were under metal halides, but the guy said that the metal halides are so far from the water that T5s will cook them if placed at the top right away.

Matt

Good deal! That placement sounds about right to me, start low and move them up slowly. I'm looking forward to seeing the pics.

Tags
tips

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com