Tips for Green Star Polyps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I picked up a tiny frag of some green star polyps on Saturday.

They were closed up most of the day, and yesterday, but opened up full today.

I've moved it to my fuge because the frag was so small the current kept toppling it off the LR I put it on.

Any tips on "attaching" the membrane to a piece of LR, or tips on star polyps in general?

DSC00673.JPG

I saw some glue at the LFS the other day, but I dont know much about it.....any info that could be given would be great.

(I always ask here before I pull the trigger based on what the LFS says...I learned my lesson 6 months ago)

Super glue gel works. I've used it lots of times for GSP and other corals. Or you can put it next to something and it will eventually spread out onto it. Putting it in a high flow area will make it grow faster. Be careful what you wish for. ;)

GSP will spread quickly so place them somewhere you can pull them out and not hurt anything. I saw a tank that had them on the back glass and it looked cool to have them waving in the background.

use a rubber band to hold it to a rock or something you can move later, and that is heavy enough not to get blown arround. You will probably have to cut the band later, and pull it out as these things grow like weeds in my tank and will encrust a rubber band too. I got a frag six or seven months ago, and every couple months have moved the frag onto different places to start new colonies. I now have 4 colonies, all as large as the original frag and the original is 3 times the size it was before. I did all this in a 2 1/2 gallon pico but the coral out grew the tiny tank and is now in a 24 gallon.

Be careful what you wish for, as these things can take over a tank and crowd out your other corals. I sell my frags back to the LFS for credit. The 24 gallon (JBJ delux) is arround 5 wats per gallon the pico is 9.6 The do well under both. I think water flow is more important than anything for these guys - moderate is best. Not too strong, but you should see the stars 'waving' in the water.

Good Luck,

I've got plenty of room in my 75, and mostly small, fist-sized rocks in my tank - I hope they spread to a couple rocks, I can easily isolate them from the rest.

They retracted into the membrane this morning when I killed the fuge lighting - it was neat to witness that.

I just picked upa nice grapefruit sized rock covered with them for 40$

They are hanging over the edges in some places, can I cut off small peices and put them on other rocks?

Does cutting hurt them, is there other ways?

Also, do they require any feeding?

Back
Top Bottom