Tips for growing Coralline...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krypt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I need them.
I have been trying everything to get it started. I have gone to my LFS 3 times and got some scrapings from their tank and still nothing (once a week for the past three weeks). When I put the scrapings in, I shut off the skimmer and just let the PH's blow it around til it dissolves. I turn the skimmer back on the following morning.

I know tank params affect the growth but all mine are in the goldilocks zone now:
0 amm.
0 nitrite
5 nitrate
0 phos
calc 425
dKh 7.4 approx
ph 8.4

My T5HO lights are on 10 hours a day, 8 hours w/ acitinic and whites, 2 hours with just acitinic (dusk/dawn). Anything else I can do to encourage the growth? I've heard of people using 2 parts and/or Purple up to get it to grow but I'm always a little weary of adding supplements.

I definately would not add any of the purple up. Are your calciums levels good? Do you have any live rock with coraline on it?..If not, get some and point a PH at it/that should help seed the rest of the tank.

Three things needed for coralline. Calcium which yours looks good. Good alk numbers and Magnesium numbers. Stop adding Purple up.

I haven't added Purple up, just read that some people use it and was kind of curious. Maybe the coralline that will grow in my tank is the "slow as molasses on a cold day" growth speed kind.

What is all of the comments about not adding purple up? My tank has been up two weeks and I am already seeing coraline growth and I add purple up every morning.

Just saying that it`s not needed. Just make sure your calcium, alk and magnesium numbers are good and you`ll be OK. Save the money that you would spend on purple up for something else. JMO

Just saying that it`s not needed. Just make sure your calcium, alk and magnesium numbers are good and you`ll be OK. Save the money that you would spend on purple up for something else. JMO

Ahh... ok. Didn't know if it was bad.

also check your iodine /iodide levels ... this also has those elements in it ... add slowly check all levels about 30 minutes later and adjust the next day accordingly I forgot to say it can take some time for it to start once there tho you will curse it ... I have ups and downs with it in my tanks

Back
Top Bottom