Tips for Xenia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c0mf0rt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I picked up two stalks today at the LFS for $20. I'm planning on placing it high in the tank with lots of water flow.

Is there anything I should know about these suckers???

Ya they will spread all over your LR when they take off so keep a close eye on them. Unless you want them all over your tank.

I started with just one small stalk and in just 2 months later it's tripled

It's nice that my LFS traded frags

I hear it's hit or miss with Xenia. I dont do anything for mine and it thrives

ok.... well I'll just keep my fingers crossed.... it's opened up pretty well already.... the stalks keep bending and straightening though..

There stalks aren't very strong so they will wave all over the place. I heard they were hard to acclimatise but mine weren't and they are doing great now.

How long do you think it was before yours starting pulsing???

couple days. All xenia will pulse differently. Some(like mine) pulse constantly and others only pulse sometimes. I have read many articles on what makes them pulse but as of what i've read there are only theories and no definitave answers.

Gotcha... I guess if they're not falling apart then they're ok... :)

i had a lot that came on my live rock. after about a week they all disaperd and i was sad :cry: but then about a month later they all came right back and are lookign better then ever.

in my experience, just leave them alone and thell do fine

Mine almost never pulse - they "wave" and if the water circulation is off for anything they will droop.

At first the lack of pulsing worried me, but since they have tripled in size since Halloween I'm not too worried about it anymore.

I have them under VHOs. The guy who fragged them for me had them under MH and they pulsed for him - Not all will behave the same way, but this was my experience.

Where in Oregon are you lcoated - There is a local marine society meeting on the 19th in Portland, I can fwd you the info if you are interested. Lots of good guys/gals and lots of trading...

Nate C

I'm in Medford. I'd love to know about the meet though......

I noticed something last night. My Xenia were pulsing with the "night lights" on.... but not pulsing with the lights on..... I've got PC's... they wave with the light on.....

Thats odd. I have a little 1" colony of pink pom pom xenia, and they pump 24/7. If your xenia isnt still pumping, it may be a sign of low ph or alk. My xenia always loses alittle bit of its pulse if the alk is off. My xenia also pump at night as well as day :D Over 1 month my xenia has doubled its size!

Yeah one is doing great.. the other seems to be doing ok also.. but I've noticed it looks like it's stalk is beginning to split......

Mine pulse. Sometimes at night, but almost always during the day. Under 420W of CF on a 55g. The extra light gave the xenia a nice yellow coloration on parts of the stalk (I assume some zoo.. moved there). Downside of the extra light is the induvidual stalks shorten up.

no that i think of it, ive never seen any xenia in any of my tanks "pulse". i have a 4 or 5 inch colony in my 700 gal tank, and ive never witnessed them pulsing.

Holy crap.... did I read that right???? 700 gal.......... man I wish...

yah. thats what every one says. but back to the xenia. ive never actualy witnessed this pumping motion. maby they all just stop when i come by :wink:

Back
Top Bottom