Tips handling/installing my new metal halides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have just received my metal halide unit today but just before I starting messing around with them and since they are not cheap could I just have a few advices before I get them up and running.

This is a hang on the ceiling type with 2 steel wires running vertically up. How do you guys secure the 2 wires on top of the ceiling? I am worry that they won’t hold and if they happen to snap off or the ceiling give way that would be a disaster. Imagine the whole unit drop straight down into the tank breaking the 6 foot tank with 132g of saltwater plus 2X150w electric current I might as well tear the whole house down.

Also how do you guys handle metal halide bulbs? Are they same as those halogen light bulbs where you shouldn’t be touching or come in contact with the fingers directly? Do you need to wear special kind of gloves when changing/handling them?

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks guys.

You can use plant hooks for the ceiling the kind that have the expanding hooks once in the ceiling. But make sure they are weight rated for what you plan on using them. I don't handle my MHs when they are hot so I don't use gloves. But I do wipe them down with a soft cloth if I do handle them or to wipe off salt build up.

Back
Top Bottom