tips on glueing frags...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ntswift

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, I got the gel super glue the other day and just to see if i was doing things right and i tried to glue my leather down. Well the next day it was off and laying behind the rock. I wiped the rock as dry as i could and the same for the bottom of the leather. Is there any trick to this? Are there some corals that can't come out of the water to be dried off? Should I keep them out of the water until the glue is done drying? TIA

Leathers can not be glued. they will slime and come loose every time. Try a rubberband or rubberband/toothpick

Not sure to which leather you are referring, but I stuff the cut end of my sinulara into a snail shell. I mean, *stuff* it in. Bout a week or so its attached. Now this isnt as pretty as rubble or a piece of LR, but I can then place it where ever I want without it blowing all over the tank.

I have had recent problems doing with glueing leathers as well. I've resorted to laying the leather down and banding the base of it to a rock with bridal material. I'm not sure if this is going to work. I think the shell idea sounds great though. Might have to try that.

Zenn that will work.

I have also took and put glue on a toothpic or broke a plastic fork for bigger leathers and put glue on one end and shoved them down into a hole in the rocks. Then I stick the leather down on the sharp end.

The rubberband method works well for small leathers. Just dont band it to tight.

That sounds like a good idea revhtree! I might have to try that. I didnt even think that the leathers would give off that slime. I just knew it was taking me a while to get it dry. It just didn't seem right. Anyway I'll have to the the toothpick in the rock method. Thanks for the help guys! One more question though for the rest of the corals, is it okay for the corals to be out of the water to dry the base of them off and to glue it to the rock and hold it there long enough for everything to hold tight? I would think so, but I just want to be sure. Thanks again!

Yes its ok to cut out of water. IMO it's best that way all the slime and defense that the coral gives off will not go straight into the water column. It is not important to dry off the coral that much either. Just get some good super glue gel containing cyanoacrylate and gob a good amount on. Also try and get some glue on the other end of the toothpick before you stick the coral on it. Actually if you can put some glue on one end of the toothpick then stick the coral on, then glue the other end and stick the toothpick in the rock.

I had similar problems glueing a leather. When you mean "stick the coral onto the toothpick or fork" do you mean that you actually pierce it into the body of the leather?

Great tips! Thanks a lot. I tried glueing my candy cane to one of my rocks last night and i guess when i put it in it wasn't dry enough because when it hit the rock next to it it pushed it away. :( However its still attached and it should be solid enough now to hold no matter what. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom