Tips on how to thrive not just survive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abiroad

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone!

I feel like I am finally getting a grip of the saltwater thing and that everything is starting to stabilize, as far as feeding, water changes, fish health, equipment, water par. etc.

So now my question is, how do i get more coral to thrive not survive.

I have a 55 gallon reef tank. With oddysea pc lighting. A 10 gallon bio ball wet dry filter and two powerheads.

The only thing i dose with is essential elements by kent. twice a month after a water change.

I only have soft coral, but i feel like i havent seen any growth, with the tank being almost 8 months old, i feel like i should have seen something.

I do have one piece of plate coral that i got free, and it has doubled in size, but that is the only noticeable growth i can see.

Just looking for tips! thanks!

Hey everyone!

I feel like I am finally getting a grip of the saltwater thing and that everything is starting to stabilize, as far as feeding, water changes, fish health, equipment, water par. etc.

So now my question is, how do i get more coral to thrive not survive.

I have a 55 gallon reef tank. With oddysea pc lighting. A 10 gallon bio ball wet dry filter and two powerheads.

The only thing i dose with is essential elements by kent. twice a month after a water change.

I only have soft coral, but i feel like i havent seen any growth, with the tank being almost 8 months old, i feel like i should have seen something.

I do have one piece of plate coral that i got free, and it has doubled in size, but that is the only noticeable growth i can see.

Just looking for tips! thanks!

What types of soft corals are they? I wouldn't dose the trace elements, they are completely unneeded as water changes will give you everything you need.

If you are doing water changes bi-weekly, it may be slowing the corals down. Also i agree about the lighting, try upgrading and see what happens

What types of soft corals are they? I wouldn't dose the trace elements, they are completely unneeded as water changes will give you everything you need.

Mushrooms, Xenia , hammer coral, toadstool, cabbage coral, Kenya trees,zoas, plate coral and this othe red sps that came in on a rock I'm not sure.

Anything different I should be dosing?

Mushrooms, Xenia , hammer coral, toadstool, cabbage coral, Kenya trees,zoas, plate coral and this othe red sps that came in on a rock I'm not sure.

Anything different I should be dosing?

Nope no need to dose anything with those corals. You could be having chemical warfare issues with the softies inhibiting each others growth. Are you running carbon? Also, almost all those corals should do fine under pc lighting.

If you are doing water changes bi-weekly, it may be slowing the corals down. Also i agree about the lighting, try upgrading and see what happens

How often is ideal for water changes? I do 13 gallons every other week.

Nope no need to dose anything with those corals. You could be having chemical warfare issues with the softies inhibiting each others growth. Are you running carbon? Also, almost all those corals should do fine under pc lighting.

I do run carbon. None of them are doing bad.. But there has not been really any noticeable growth , some have been there as long as 6 months.

other than a better light, you would need a good skimmer as well. it removes the chemicals (nitrates and etc), something that retards the growth of your corals if not killing them, from your system. and for soft corals, no supplements are needed if you keep up with the maintenance.

if none of those two equipments can be obtained anytime soon, i would also suggest getting rid of the carbon filter media and replace it with purigen by SeaChem as it removes waste/chemical better than a carbon cartilage (only around ~$10).

Okay! I'll pick that up.
I'll start looking for a use skimmer,
I was waiting to get one because I don't want a hang on back one and I want to turn my wet/dry bio ball into a fuge. But I'm afraid ditching the bio balls will mess with my bb

Okay! I'll pick that up.
I'll start looking for a use skimmer,
I was waiting to get one because I don't want a hang on back one and I want to turn my wet/dry bio ball into a fuge. But I'm afraid ditching the bio balls will mess with my bb

no it won't. just remember that bb is everywhere ranging from your LR to sand to the equipments inside the tank. some people don't even have a sump or a fuge with bioballs and they are doing great. worst case scenario would be you get rid of the bioballs and it will take a few days to replenish them.

Hmmm. Looks like I have a weekend project.
My tank is a little crowded by popular opinion probably, which is why I'm so obsessive with water changes.

Could that be the problem ? How should I do water changes? It worries me to wait longer but I could be being compulsive

The bio balls just might be whats holding you back. they can become a nitrAte factory very quickly

The bio balls just might be whats holding you back. they can become a nitrAte factory very quickly
That's what I have been reading. I really want to switch to the fuge ASAP.
I have a 20 long I just need to apoxy the dividers. I already have a bunch of rubble rock in with my bioballs

Back
Top Bottom