Titanium Steel Rod for holding drilled LR Tower, Or ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Anyone use this to hold LR in place? I found a resource for it and am thinking it is the least affected /corroded metal by SW so wondering what anyone uses? anyone use Titanium?

My thought is it allows change. So the LR is movable, removable, can take out to rearrange and put back in different order if preferred, need a coral closer or further away from light, etc.

If I use epoxy it will not be as easy to change or move. I can get a 3/16th bar that is 15" for about $8.00.

I could drill them and stack up the rocks. Comments and thoughts?

Have you considered acrylic rods rather than titanium?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They were mentioned to me. But was concerned with the necessity of a larger diameter for my small tank that the rocks might more easily break apart in drilling.

This would be for a 15G column tank and also possibly my 12G rimless. The rocks are somewhat small compared to a large set up.

Which diameter for acrylic in the drilled hole do you think would be strong enough to hold it up well?

I used two small rods, I forget the diameter but I would say about little finger sized. They worked just fine

Little finger size in terms of thickness

Titanium is inert in saltwater I believe. Expensive and hard to work with, never the less it should work fine in your application.

Thank you all.

I will check the prices of acrylic rods near where I live.

The cost on the titanium ones are reasonable it seems and thin and strong so I am hoping skinny holes might help my small rocks. I imagine a 1/3rd to 1/2 inch hole in the rocks I have would lead to breaking in half much more easily, especially just drilling them, since these are not that large of rocks.

These rods cost 5.50 each for me to pick up in a nearby town where there is a lfs I visit, or 8. to ship.

What type drill bit works best to drill rocks?

I used 3/4" PVC and drilled my rocks with a 1" masonry hole saw that was missing the center bit. I ended up with cylindrical plugs that I glued frags on.

I would use acrylic for many reasons, lighter, clear, known to be 100% safe, etc.
this place has the best prices for acrylic I have found yet, sheets, tubes & rods;

acrylic rod

check it out, the prices are great.
example-1/2"x 36" rod is less than $3!

Back
Top Bottom