Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-21-2004, 03:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

To Catch a Crab

I'm trying to catch a crab that's living in my largest piece of LR. Dipping isn't an option because it's so large and has a lot of life I don.t want to harm.

For the past few nights, I've put a tilted glass with sinkable food in the bottom into the tank. No dice. I tried scallops packed into a plastic bottle cap as bait, but they still float.

How long do people find it takes to catch the crab? Do you leave the trap in constantly until it works? Wouldn't that leak a like of nitrates into the system?

I really want this crab gone before I add any other livestock. This guy already knocked off my cleaner shrimp.

Fluval 304
CPR BakPak skimmer w/ preskimmer
Aquaclear 201 and 301 powerheads
Tronic 100W heater
2 20W NO lights
5-stage RO filter

Snail crew, Peppermint Shrimp, 2 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, Percula Clown, Watchman Goby
flynnternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 03:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I meant a metal bottle cap, sorry. (When I think of a bottle cap I think of a beer bottle cap thats why I didnt specify LOL)

I just crimp the metal cap over the food and it sinks right down to the bottom of the glass or mason jar.

Make sure you do not feed your tank for a couple of days either, you'll have hungry crabs ending up in your glass for sure. If they have enough crap to eat just laying around they will stay inside of ther comfortable rocks because they do not necessarily like to venture away from their "homes".

Old 05-21-2004, 03:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh also yes leave the trap in there,the crabs will get comfortable with it that way.

Just replace the bait once a day before it gets stinky.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:03 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I used a binder clip and it worked well.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I didn't realize putting metal in the tank was cool. I will try that. Guess I'll have to empty a beer first. Twist my arm.

I have seen this crab pick off pods. I hope I won't have to wait for my pods to be decimated before he's trapped.

Fingers crossed.
Fluval 304
CPR BakPak skimmer w/ preskimmer
Aquaclear 201 and 301 powerheads
Tronic 100W heater
2 20W NO lights
5-stage RO filter

Snail crew, Peppermint Shrimp, 2 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, Percula Clown, Watchman Goby
flynnternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 07:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I place a few pieces of meat on a small rock and wrap it with fine netting so my shrimp can't come in and steal it or eat it all right away. I have at leat 2 stone crabs I need to catch but the trap wasn't successfull the first night.

Tags
crab

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com