Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

To catch a Rabbitfish!

Ok All.....

That rabbitfish was dropped in my tank last Wednesday and it really hasn't caused any problems......until 2 days ago.

It's found the algae clip, which I was initially very happy about. I love to see new fish become familiar with their surroundings as it confirms to me that it's adapting. The problem is that it's now claimed that food source as it's own and is being aggressive towards my little tang.

All the literature I've read about this fish says that it's rarely aggressive, but I've seen it with my own two eyes dart at the tang and rear up it's dorsel spines. It's already caught her once and Dory (as my daughter of course called her) is a tiny little thing and it freaked her out to a point where she was breathing a mile a minute and was obviously stressed. I've never seen a fish breath so fast. I was very worried about her, but then i came home yesterday and she seemed to be doing much better and recovering.

I'm worried that the rabbitfish will get her good next time and she may not recover which will really piss me off cause Dory was there first and she's such a beautiful peaceful fish. and that may result in a rabbitfish butt whooping!

so how do i catch it??? I already know I'm going to have a problem with this task. help!

Sorry for the long post, but I just recently got my hand slapped for using text abbreviations. ya....good times.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Try putting 2 algae clips in one on rather side of the tank. If that doesn't work try waiting 30 mins after lights out then turning them on full force. This stresses the fish and pretty much paralyzes them then scoop him up.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by crister13 View Post
Try putting 2 algae clips in one on rather side of the tank. If that doesn't work try waiting 30 mins after lights out then turning them on full force. This stresses the fish and pretty much paralyzes them then scoop him up.
Thanks for the quick response Crister!

That's exactly what I thought myself. I was calling around last night to find where I can buy a clip (all LFS are obviously closed) and was lucky to find that petsmart was open to 10pm during holidays. I called and the mgr said they have them, got there to find out they were out of stock! I complained a bit and until the girl went in the back and gave me one of their Algae clips for free. I was pretty surprised and thankful.

Got home and put the additional clip on the other side. Both had algae sheets but it unfortunately still kept happening. Dory would go to one side and here comes the rabbitfish. She would go to the other and same.....

I was hoping that would help as well. Maybe it will in the days to come. If it doesn't....the rabbitfish is outtie!

Lastly...I have Halides and t5's and as I'm sure you know, it takes a while for the mh bulbs to brighten up. Would your method still work with that scenario?
Old 12-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It should. If it doesn't I use sarin wrap and 2 sticks, use it as a divider to make the tank smaller on one side, usually the fish will swim right into the Saran wrap and it's easy to scoop him up
Old 12-23-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqasnatch View Post
It should. If it doesn't I use sarin wrap and 2 sticks, use it as a divider to make the tank smaller on one side, usually the fish will swim right into the Saran wrap and it's easy to scoop him up
That's pretty ingenious actually! you just herd them into the wrap, right?
Old 12-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Get Out of My Tank! Fish Removal Tips & Tricks by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

This is a pretty good link on fish removal.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post

Thanks for this Mike. I know where the little bully sleeps, so I'm gonna try ambushing him at night!! I am going to give him a one or two day reprieve and hope that he falls in line.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmyboy

That's pretty ingenious actually! you just herd them into the wrap, right?
Yeahthatsright they get stunned there momentarily so u have to be quick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com