To catch a Rabbitfish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tmyboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok All.....

That rabbitfish was dropped in my tank last Wednesday and it really hasn't caused any problems......until 2 days ago.

It's found the algae clip, which I was initially very happy about. I love to see new fish become familiar with their surroundings as it confirms to me that it's adapting. The problem is that it's now claimed that food source as it's own and is being aggressive towards my little tang.

All the literature I've read about this fish says that it's rarely aggressive, but I've seen it with my own two eyes dart at the tang and rear up it's dorsel spines. It's already caught her once and Dory (as my daughter of course called her) is a tiny little thing and it freaked her out to a point where she was breathing a mile a minute and was obviously stressed. I've never seen a fish breath so fast. I was very worried about her, but then i came home yesterday and she seemed to be doing much better and recovering.

I'm worried that the rabbitfish will get her good next time and she may not recover which will really piss me off cause Dory was there first and she's such a beautiful peaceful fish. and that may result in a rabbitfish butt whooping! :mad:

so how do i catch it??? I already know I'm going to have a problem with this task. help!

Sorry for the long post, but I just recently got my hand slapped for using text abbreviations. ya....good times.

Try putting 2 algae clips in one on rather side of the tank. If that doesn't work try waiting 30 mins after lights out then turning them on full force. This stresses the fish and pretty much paralyzes them then scoop him up.

Try putting 2 algae clips in one on rather side of the tank. If that doesn't work try waiting 30 mins after lights out then turning them on full force. This stresses the fish and pretty much paralyzes them then scoop him up.

Thanks for the quick response Crister!

That's exactly what I thought myself. I was calling around last night to find where I can buy a clip (all LFS are obviously closed) and was lucky to find that petsmart was open to 10pm during holidays. I called and the mgr said they have them, got there to find out they were out of stock! I complained a bit and until the girl went in the back and gave me one of their Algae clips for free. :) I was pretty surprised and thankful.

Got home and put the additional clip on the other side. Both had algae sheets but it unfortunately still kept happening. Dory would go to one side and here comes the rabbitfish. She would go to the other and same.....

I was hoping that would help as well. Maybe it will in the days to come. If it doesn't....the rabbitfish is outtie!

Lastly...I have Halides and t5's and as I'm sure you know, it takes a while for the mh bulbs to brighten up. Would your method still work with that scenario?

It should. If it doesn't I use sarin wrap and 2 sticks, use it as a divider to make the tank smaller on one side, usually the fish will swim right into the Saran wrap and it's easy to scoop him up

It should. If it doesn't I use sarin wrap and 2 sticks, use it as a divider to make the tank smaller on one side, usually the fish will swim right into the Saran wrap and it's easy to scoop him up

That's pretty ingenious actually! you just herd them into the wrap, right?

Tmyboy said:
That's pretty ingenious actually! you just herd them into the wrap, right?

Yeahthatsright they get stunned there momentarily so u have to be quick

Back
Top Bottom